Fish stuck in overflow

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a green chromis stuck in my overflow and no matter what i cant net him because hes so fast, anyone know how to get him out??

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of overflow? Long box from top to bottom? Get a net, fish it out. I have had to shut down tank to stop and drain overflow for fish. Little buggers.

OP
OP
abagail

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of overflow? Long box from top to bottom? Get a net, fish it out. I have had to shut down tank to stop and drain overflow for fish. Little buggers.
im not sure if this helps but i just got this tank a month ago so im kinda still unsure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 113

Codfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that doesn’t work you might be able to shut off your overflow pipe and slowly raise your water level over the teeth of the weir. This will only work if the top of the teeth are below the top of your tank and if you have an external sump. While doing this be ready to turn off your return pump so you don’t flood your tank.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, tight fit. How long a drop to the sump? Any curves or just straight shot? Could pull the pipes and let it fall. If it is not too long or curvy. I would try to get a small net and try to get it out if it fits.

OP
OP
abagail

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, tight fit. How long a drop to the sump? Any curves or just straight shot? Could pull the pipes and let it fall. If it is not too long or curvy. I would try to get a small net and try to get it out if it fits.
there is a lot of curves in the pipes to the sump, i tried netting him but hes learned there are places to hide so i have to somehow find a way to block off his hiding spots and fish him out i guess

Codfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a lot of curves in the pipes to the sump, i tried netting him but hes learned there are places to hide so i have to somehow find a way to block off his hiding spots and fish him out i guess
Can you stop the overflow so the water level rises, allowing him to swim out with time?

OP
OP
abagail

abagail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant tell, but it seems like you have an external sump?
Yep, i figured out he was in there because two days ago he poofed and then my sump started acting weird so i have been trying to see if he got stuck in there somewhere and bam hes in the overflow

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need something to fill the overflow to get him to the top to make netting easy.

You could fill with bioballs. You could wedge screen-top type netting down the side with a long pole, then use the pole the spread it out and slowly bring it up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Large hose and siphon out into bucket

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it after the lights are out, get someone to hold a small flashlight, if you can put a red lens over the flashlight it won’t startle him as much. Also on the iPhone, there are ways to make the Screen Red, to use as a light source.

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used a shop vac before. The fish was fine. Put at little tank water in the vac prior to sucking the fish out. Make sure you don't have the filters on. Bare vac, no filter.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Goby got into my overflow 2 weeks ago. I just pulled the drain pipe out and sent him on a little ride to the sump. He's fine now. Good Luck!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 62 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.4%
Back