Fish suddenly hiding after feeding ... ?

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed my fish tonight as normal some frozen brine with spirulina and in two doses... the first dose they clobbered the food... the second the ran and hid.. they have not come out since.. the shrimp and conches look normal.. no ammonia spike.. ph is good.. temp 79.5... so weird.. anyone else have this happen? I can see my sailfin hiding and super stressed.. it’s normally the most chill fish in the tank.. so weird.. anyone have any ideas on what’s going on?

Last edited:
OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole is starting to come out after an hour and grazing... the sailfin is sort of the leader of the pack and acting super stressed all of a sudden.. so weird.. maybe some bad food?

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin is the one which seems freaked out.. seems stressed and just not normal... it’s usually so chill..

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was going perfect and after that one drop of food all fish are acting like I changed the aquascape...

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing your setup is fairly new as are most of your fish. Let them adjust.
Nothing is normal for them yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Lower white lighting which lowers stress.
What is salinity level and age of tank?

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing your setup is fairly new as are most of your fish. Let them adjust.
Nothing is normal for them yet.
Yeah only about a week 10 days... everything seemed so chill for a week though.. but right.. I’m overreacting ... ugh. Lol. Something spooked the sailfin super bad I guess.. wow.. they’re staring to come out a tiny bit now... maybe they sensed an earthquake which is about to happen ... soooo unusual as the sailfin dropped into the tank 10 days ago and was like a veteran citizen... so chill..

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped my air pump stones into the sump... just got over a bacterial bloom and had them in.. and pulled them yesterday... all was fine until I poured in the second part of the frozen food diluted in tank water..

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh geez.. not going to sleep well tonight lol. Sigh. So weird

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like the sailfin eat a bad bit of food or something

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The foxface just went to her sleep spot and the kole is acting fairly normal.. the white lights just went out.. I have 30 mins of blue now... the sailfin has come out and pecking at rocks a little but then darts back to her hiding spot.. my cat is licking her junk... ok that was too much.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it decided it was time for sleep?? It’s normally swimming around with the lights off.. hmm.. it came out and pecked at some rocks and went back into hiding...

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others recommend, keep the lighting lower.

and if your parameters are good, just give your fish some time. It took my foxface over six months to stop hiding if I so much as thought about my tank. Now, foxfaces are scaredy cats anyway, but still, your tank is young. The fish are likely still getting used to things.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others recommend, keep the lighting lower.

and if your parameters are good, just give your fish some time. It took my foxface over six months to stop hiding if I so much as thought about my tank. Now, foxfaces are scaredy cats anyway, but still, your tank is young. The fish are likely still getting used to things.
Yeah you’re right.. just happened so suddenly after over a week of harmony... everyone so good.. but the sailfin is sort of the leader of the pack.. and that’s the one who is tripping right now. Thanks much.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it just wanted to sleep.. my foxface disappears around 8:20 every night to sleep in the same place.. maybe the sailfin just wanted do the same.. it’s chilling in a different spot now ... lights off.. just swimming in a current between a rock and the aquarium back..

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things seem better today.. getting back to normal .... everyone is out grazing but the sailfin seems a more skittish than normal but getting more settled it seems... so weird how that happened so fast.. the other two seemed to coax the sailfin out of hiding to go eat with them... saltwater fish behavior is so interesting ...

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things seem better today.. getting back to normal .... everyone is out grazing but the sailfin seems a more skittish than normal but getting more settled it seems... so weird how that happened so fast.. the other two seemed to coax the sailfin out of hiding to go eat with them... saltwater fish behavior is so interesting ...

Yeah. We humans quickly learn that every fish has as much personality as any other living being

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back