Fish suggestions for 90 gal reef

Keanu_Reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was curious to see what people’s recommendations are for a larger fish to go in a standard 90 gallon reef tank?

So far the tank has:
Pair of clowns
Bi color blenny
Pink fairy wrasse
Coral beauty
Diamond head goby

I have really been wanting to add 1 larger eye catching fish but I want to make sure it would be okay in a 90 gal with other fish, Thank you!

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Comet/Marine betta in mine, and he's a great fish for this size tank. A small tang, such as a kole would be good, or a medium sized wrasse, such as a Melanarus would be good as well. Most hawkfish would be a fine addition or a dwarf angel such as a coral beauty would be good additions.

Of course the Comet and hawkfish would eat small inverts, and the dwarf angel can be a danger to some corals, so it all depends on what you are looking for.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you already have a coral beauty, other dwarf angels are out of the question.

I agree on the marine betta, very nice showpiece fish for a tank that size if you get a sociable one.

Have you looked at hawkish? My favorite is the longnose hawk, always a showstopper.

Mandarins are a good choice for a tank that big, the pod population should be able to sustain itself pretty good but as always, supplemental dosing of pods will never hurt.

A copperband is gorgeous, and helpful due to its aptasia inclusive diet. But finding one that will take prepared foods is difficult

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was curious to see what people’s recommendations are for a larger fish to go in a standard 90 gallon reef tank?

So far the tank has:
Pair of clowns
Bi color blenny
Pink fairy wrasse
Coral beauty
Diamond head goby

I have really been wanting to add 1 larger eye catching fish but I want to make sure it would be okay in a 90 gal with other fish, Thank you!
Here’s my stock list in a 90-gal.:

Pseudochromis fridmani, Orchid Dottyback
Halichoeres melanurus, Melanurus Wrasse
Ctenochaetus flavicauda, White Tail Tang
Valenciennea bella, Bella Goby
Pygoplites diacanthus, Regal Angelfish
Chelmon rostratus, Copperband Butterflyfish
Siganus doliatus, Scribbled Rabbitfish

note that the last 3 are juveniles and intended for a 180-gal. long term.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of your tank? If it’s a 4’ tank if you want a Tang a smaller Bristletooth species would work.

Shrimp and goby pair. Sand burying Halichoeres wrasses (Yellow Coris, Melanurus etc.), basslets and Assessors, sone more Fairy and Flasher Wrasses, Chalk Bass group, Pajama Cardinal group, Bangaii Cardinal (need a confirmed pair), Yellow Striped Cardinalfish group, some of the more peaceful Chrysiptera sp. damselfish (a pair of them or maybe one of each). This is for smaller fish.

If you want just one larger fish to complete it, maybe a smaller Bristletooth Tang or a Marine Betta (gets to 8” but not too active).

That is, assuming your tank is 4’ long. You could add maybe 1 large fish and 5-6 more small / medium fish 3-5”.

Here’s an idea:

x2 Ocellaris Clownfish (female to 4”, male to maybe 3”)

x1 Diamond Watchman Goby (6”)

x1 Bicolor Blenny (4.5”)

x1 Pink Fairy Wrasse (

x1 Coral Beauty Angelfish (4.5”)

x1 shrimp and goby pair (shrimp gobies range from 2”-5”, I think)

x1 Royal Gramma / Blackcap Basslet / Swissguard Basslet / Yellow Assessor / McNeill’s Assessor / Randall’s Assessor (all will be around 3”, except Blackcap that gets to 4”)

x1 smaller Halichoeres sp. wrasse (most are around 4.5”-5”)

x1 Yellow Eye Kole / Tomini / Squaretail / White Tail Bristletooth Tang OR Marine Betta (The Tangs get to 6.5”-7”, MB gets to 8”)

And fill the rest with a few more small fish of your choice.

Consult @evolved for anything wrasse related.

Last edited:

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far the tank has:
Pair of clowns
Bi color blenny
Pink fairy wrasse
Coral beauty
Diamond head goby

A bristle tooth tang would be a nice fit. They're a good size and I think they're a really pretty fish.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey good to see you again!

Many Atlantic species of fish in our hobby don’t seem available or are available only sporadically in China. The only species I see with some regularity is the Royal Gramma.

I have never seen a Chalk Bass, or many other Atlantic basslets for sale in Guangzhou at least.

I still feel in Asia we’re a bit limited when it comes to fish choices so that’s why I’ve built my stocking list based on what’s available to make more of less hence why I’m really into pairs. Less species but more diverse behaviors.

I agree. A Yellow Eye Kole would be great for the OP’s tank.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great ideas here. my favorite fish is my lubucks fairy wrasse. And my kole tang. I have a few cromis but if I was to do it again I would get anthias instead. But there’s so many options! Can’t wait to see what you decide.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m well aware that damsels are the scourge among marine fish to many, but I think some of the more peaceful ones (beck even the Blue Devil) are small and have really nice colors.
I have a Pink smith ($9.99 from Petco) and she’s a model citizen. I have had bad luck with aggression from every damsel fish I have ever kept except this one. She was cheap, she’s active and attractive, she is so well behaved I named her Lady because she always a classy acting fish. And best of all: the older she gets the prettier she is getting. Pink and purple getting darker and darker.

BE889992-2137-4A6F-B6AF-88CDC5D7003A.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back