fish suggestions for the reef tank

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to add a couple more fish to my main reef upstairs. Already have a trigger and a yellow tang in it, so not a trigger or tang. Considering a second rabbit fish, but any other coral safe ideas?

Timothy McMeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One spot Foxface are cool. The Longnose hawkfish is also another cool one. Six line wrasses are nice but they can turn mean

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is the 125g? What about a genicanthus angel? Masked swallowtail or wantanabei? Or you could go with another tang if your yellow will accept one...maybe a kole or tomini?

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One spot Foxface are cool. The Longnose hawkfish is also another cool one. Six line wrasses are nice but they can turn mean
I guess I’m the exception, but I have a nearly full grown six line Wrasse that was the first fish I added. He’s never been aggressive. He hunts all day. I toss in a bottle of pods every few weeks and it keeps him happy. They are the best pest control out there, IMO. I’ve rarely seen a frag tank without one. They’re little work horses.

Foxface are cool as are clowns. I like the Pygmy angels. I have one and he’s not bothered my corals. I guess that depends on the fish though. Pyramid butterflies are reef safe.... they’re planktavores, not coralavores. Nearly any Goby or Blenny. Get a Watchman and pistol shrimp pair.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m the exception, but I have a nearly full grown six line Wrasse that was the first fish I added. He’s never been aggressive. He hunts all day. I toss in a bottle of pods every few weeks and it keeps him happy. They are the best pest control out there, IMO. I’ve rarely seen a frag tank without one. They’re little work horses.

Foxface are cool as are clowns. I like the Pygmy angels. I have one and he’s not bothered my corals. I guess that depends on the fish though. Pyramid butterflies are reef safe.... they’re planktavores, not coralavores. Nearly any Goby or Blenny. Get a Watchman and pistol shrimp pair.
I had a goby. My niger trigger ate him ;)

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the tank
IMG_20190218_181152.jpg

Timothy McMeans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've had my six line for about 10 months now and he's doing great. I love the fish that's why I have one but I always like to give that warning that they could turn mean because many have them do that.

Could also get a Royal Gramma or Firefish

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive heard they are hit and miss on eating and keeping alive though?
Mine has done really well. Very active, and funny to watch. Takes food to powerheads, and lets go into them. Will come to top of tank, and let pet too. I will always try and have one after having this one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back