Fish that are “cautiously” reef safe

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish that are cautiously compatible with corals (valentini puffer for specific). Is it better to add coral first so the fish sees it as part of its natural habitat or do I add them after the fish is comfortable?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely add the fish after the fact. That way, it will only ever know the coral as scenery.
To be frank, I think any coral-risky fish needs to go in after you think you have all of the corals you want. Because when something is introduced, grazing fish (which includes coral eaters) Inspect those things for food, and often give them a taste. If they happen to taste-test a new coral, and like the taste, then oh boy, you're in for it. It'll go nipping and tasting the other corals in the tank, and be a nightmare.
I personally love all "coral risky" fish, I think they all deserve a a spot in a reef tank, if introduced properly.

Good luck, stay safe and God bless!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish was a Blue Spot Puffer. Used to hand feed it. Weeks, months after being in my mixed reef tank one day I noticed something was off about my plate corals. And then I saw the BS chewing up one of them. Lost a lot of corals that day. Sad, sad, sad day. I loved that little guy.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to the valentini if you plan on keeping sps. I had one that ignored softies and lps but wouldn’t hesitate to “corncob” any acro frag or treat any plating coral like an icecream sandwich.

OP
OP
BullyBee

BullyBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to the valentini if you plan on keeping sps. I had one that ignored softies and lps but wouldn’t hesitate to “corncob” any acro frag or treat any plating coral like an icecream sandwich.

All I wanna do is lps and softies

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is better to have established corals and then add a coral risky fish than to add them after the with caution fish. puffers, tend to explore new objects added to their tanks mouth first.

I always recommend this video, on the subject of with caution fish.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whilst I completely agree with adding the corals first so they aren't see as new things to taste, I don't think that with puffers it makes them much safer simply because they explore the world with their mouths in the same way a puppy would. It means that sometime, whether new or preexisting, it's likely to get nibbled but the amount of nibbling thereafter is down to the individual.
For me the best advice if you want to try potentially nippy species is to only keep them in a tank where 1) you are prepared to remove stuff if need be, or 2) the tank is large enough for a little nipping not to matter to much. If you aren't prepared for the odd nip then don't risk it as I hate to think how many fish have had a harmless investigation of something only for it to be seen by the hobbyist (or nipping at a coral that was already doomed and getting the blame for killing it) and instantly returned to the lfs.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m late to the party but—-
My Valentini was my first fish. Back when I had a FOWLR. I just added corals this week. And he immediately started bubbling on my zoas.
He is now in time out (aka the sump) until I feel like he has learned his lesson.
He may never. But we shall see. At least there’s a ton of amphipods for him to munch on in there.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept 2 valentini (not together) in my softie tank. Neither of them nibbled at corals. The first valentini liked to turn certain clean up crew members into snacks though.

Picasso Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep a lot of ‘reef safe with caution’ fish super well fed then they usually aren’t a problem. I keep a cherub angel with SPS, zoas, a scoly, goniopora, acans, etc etc and he’s been an angel about all of it. I feed very heavy though, and often twice a day. I’m also culturing pods in the sump of another tank and occasionally I’ll have a bloom and put some in my tank, just to stock up. I agree with the above that puffers tend to explore mouth first, but usually it’s a one and done sitch if they don’t find it tasty. I have over 300 logged dives all over the world and puffers definitely nip. You can see their marks all over the reef but the damage is minimal and causes no harm to the the coral as long as it is a pretty good size. One of these nips may kill a 1” frag, so be prepared for that. If you see quite a lot of damage on a certain coral, that’s where it becomes a problem.

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep a lot of ‘reef safe with caution’ fish super well fed then they usually aren’t a problem. I keep a cherub angel with SPS, zoas, a scoly, goniopora, acans, etc etc and he’s been an angel about all of it. I feed very heavy though, and often twice a day. I’m also culturing pods in the sump of another tank and occasionally I’ll have a bloom and put some in my tank, just to stock up. I agree with the above that puffers tend to explore mouth first, but usually it’s a one and done sitch if they don’t find it tasty. I have over 300 logged dives all over the world and puffers definitely nip. You can see their marks all over the reef but the damage is minimal and causes no harm to the the coral as long as it is a pretty good size. One of these nips may kill a 1” frag, so be prepared for that. If you see quite a lot of damage on a certain coral, that’s where it becomes a problem.
my valentini is well fed. i have an auto feeder that feeds small amounts 4x a day and i feed mysis every other day. He also munches on my tiny ceriths that pop out from being buried in the sand. his belly is quite porky. Yet, he seems insanely curious. And like ive read, valentinis seem to use their mouths as curiosity detectors. I just wanted my zoas to feel safe and open up and like their spot before i return the valentini to the display.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back