Fish you will never keep... Nope Fish

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, there are fish that just make us say nope. Aggression, fragility, bad luck, just plain ugly, etc...A great big ole pile of nope.

What is your "nope fish" and why?

Mine are the eared eel blenny or wolf eel and the yellow damselfish.

The wolf eel was one of my first predatory fish. From the start, the fish just gave me the creeps. Vicious and ugly, with a face that looks like an old thug mobster... lazy until times called for violence... that one specimen put me off and I have never desired to keep another one.

The Yellow Damsel I picked up as a kid, while i was learning about the hobby, was the first fish introduced to my 75 gallon aquarium. Alone, it was personable and interactive...always seemed to greet me when i came into my room. And then i decided to add more fish. I had always loved huma huma triggers and my mother picked up a small one. In the tank it went and the yellow damsel did what damsels do...bullied the equal sized trigger constantly. Woke up the morning after introducing the fish only to find it finless and near death...the yellow damsel making harassing passes at the little thing while it attempted to hide behind the heater. I caught out the little trigger and put it in my Q tank but it was too far gone. I tried then to find something that could hold its own and possibly eat the yellow monster...a lionfish came to mind. I got one that was definitely large enough to eat the damsel...but like david and goliath, the smaller fighter felled the giant...this time before it was beaten to death, i pulled the lionfish out and held it in my Q tank until i could convert a 45 tall that i had for the lion. I tried an eel, an undulated trigger, a grouper...all repelled and beaten by the 2 inch long yellow tyrant. Ultimately i had to break down the tank and catch the critter out before i could add anything else. I swore never again.

Cheers!

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would ever keep Blennies, Dartfish, Damselfish or Chromis, I think they look boring. my favorite fish ( which I currently have ) is a Fathead Anthias, he is just beautiful to my eyes!
9F244267-3609-4A4F-B222-D7D834EA39CF.jpeg

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Lion fish. Definitely Lion fish. Useless in a reef tank and evil in a fish only tank. If you really like the looks of them you could probably get a stuffed one.

It won't sting you and it'll be twice as active as a live one.
My lions were the most boring fish I've ever owned. They were my must-haves and the reason I got into saltwater. They were beautiful fish but once they were fed, they'd go hang upside down in the back of the tank and do nothing. The only time I'd see them swimming around was when they were hungry.

Back