Fish_boy1986 Tank Build

What lighting system will make my coral POP and grow like crazy; 2x hydra 32HD or 2x Kessil

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fish_boy1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I am fish_boy1986 a Biologist from Vancouver B.C. CANADA! This username was made as a child when I first started in the reef hobby. I started the aquarium hobby around 25 years ago; and have been keeping reef aquariums since i was 13 (21 years), with a short break as I completed nursing school. I contributed to many forms on prior reef online communities and figured it is time to jump back into the reef culture online with my new tank build. I started reef keeping at a time where DIY was your only option, and under gravel filters were still used for biological filters. 6500K-10000k metal halides were a luxury! I have experienced the evolution of reefing keeping. I am excited to share my progress as I design my new coral reef system. I will share my experiences with equipment, and share DIY projects. Although I am excited to buy equipment that is made already and that I do not have to build myself!

due to size limitations I have decided on a red sea reefer 250 system, I will be making youtube videos possibly to follow my tank build! Talk about lighting, equipment and fish/coral husbandry.

I have attached a couple pictures from the 90s! my 145 gallon classic reef wall mixed reef tank (before i started Acropora).

I look forward to the coming month! I am currently choosing a light system and would love to hear what people think! 2x KESSIL OR HYDRA 32HD!?

Happy reefing
Fish_boy

IMG_0515.jpg 1730_42175817423_5770_n.png

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! I look forward to seeing how your new reef develops - we’re glad your here!

Jagg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I am fish_boy1986 a Biologist from Vancouver B.C. CANADA! and I am the original queen of reefing. This username was made as a child when I first started in the reef hobby. I started the aquarium hobby around 25 years ago; and have been keeping reef aquariums since i was 13 (21 years), with a short break as I completed nursing school. I contributed to many forms on prior reef online communities and figured it is time to jump back into the reef culture online with my new tank build. I started reef keeping at a time where DIY was your only option, and under gravel filters were still used for biological filters. 6500K-10000k metal halides were a luxury! I have experienced the evolution of reefing keeping. I am excited to share my progress as I design my new coral reef system. I will share my experiences with equipment, and share DIY projects. Although I am excited to buy equipment that is made already and that I do not have to build myself!

due to size limitations I have decided on a red sea reefer 250 system, I will be making youtube videos possibly to follow my tank build! Talk about lighting, equipment and fish/coral husbandry.

I have attached a couple pictures from the 90s! my 145 gallon classic reef wall mixed reef tank (before i started Acropora).

I look forward to the coming month! I am currently choosing a light system and would love to hear what people think! 2x KESSIL OR HYDRA 32HD!?

Happy reefing
Fish_boy

Looks fab. Your story resonates but I’ve been out for 18 yrs..... just getting back in. Going big 1800g

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I am fish_boy1986 a Biologist from Vancouver B.C. CANADA! This username was made as a child when I first started in the reef hobby. I started the aquarium hobby around 25 years ago; and have been keeping reef aquariums since i was 13 (21 years), with a short break as I completed nursing school. I contributed to many forms on prior reef online communities and figured it is time to jump back into the reef culture online with my new tank build. I started reef keeping at a time where DIY was your only option, and under gravel filters were still used for biological filters. 6500K-10000k metal halides were a luxury! I have experienced the evolution of reefing keeping. I am excited to share my progress as I design my new coral reef system. I will share my experiences with equipment, and share DIY projects. Although I am excited to buy equipment that is made already and that I do not have to build myself!

Happy reefing
Fish_boy

Gday mate! I have a rsr 250 and it is a great size I have mine filled with coral and couldn’t be happier.

OP
OP
Fish_boy1986

Fish_boy1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is cycling. Sadly the lfs are not importing at this time so it will not be getting any inhabitants yet. Yet to do another remodeling of the rockwork as i have to much rock. I realized my tanks not level , so i will be doing a large water change this week so i can level it out. Any other reefers in Vancouver Bc canada?? Im starting a local reef club/meet up.

IMG_20200414_004247_851.jpg IMG_20200414_004247_857.jpg IMG_20200414_004247_850.jpg

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is cycling. Sadly the lfs are not importing at this time so it will not be getting any inhabitants yet. Yet to do another remodeling of the rockwork as i have to much rock. I realized my tanks not level , so i will be doing a large water change this week so i can level it out. Any other reefers in Vancouver Bc canada?? Im starting a local reef club/meet up.

IMG_20200414_004247_851.jpg IMG_20200414_004247_857.jpg IMG_20200414_004247_850.jpg
There's a few on here - I'm from Van :)

OP
OP
Fish_boy1986

Fish_boy1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on my rockwork to increase flow and reduce deadspots. I initially put all the rock in to cycle the tank; i have slowely remover and reworked the structures. I have a bit more work to do. I am looking for chaetomorpha! If anyone has some in Vancouver. I would be greatful.

20200420_120241.jpg

OP
OP
Fish_boy1986

Fish_boy1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just starting up a tank and have very little of anything... trying to find clean-up crew here... :p

Sure your tank is ready? Usually takes a number of months before adding any cleaners. The tank needs to be fully cycled as they are more sensitive to chemistry shifts. For example snails You have higher risk of them starving abd killing the tank.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure your tank is ready? Usually takes a number of months before adding any cleaners. The tank needs to be fully cycled as they are more sensitive to chemistry shifts. For example snails You have higher risk of them starving abd killing the tank.
A good point for sure. I cycled the rock for ~2 months in a brute with wavemaker and heater + microbacter 7 and instant ocean biospira with ghost feeding and ammonia. I added a bunch of copepods too. The rock has now been in the tank for another ~2 months (no lights) and has some healthy diatoms and emergent other algae.

But you raise a good point... fewer clean-up crew right now might be wise. Legit thanks for the reminder :)

OP
OP
Fish_boy1986

Fish_boy1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20+ years of reefing i have honestly have never had a single clean up crew (snail ,urchin, or crab). I always used lawnmower blennies for algea control over snails. They do a good job.

A good point for sure. I cycled the rock for ~2 months in a brute with wavemaker and heater + microbacter 7 and instant ocean biospira with ghost feeding and ammonia. I added a bunch of copepods too. The rock has now been in the tank for another ~2 months (no lights) and has some healthy diatoms and emergent other algae. Hated how Snails knock things over.

But you raise a good point... fewer clean-up crew right now might be wise. Legit thanks for the reminder :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back