FISHBIT

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in it, but the mindstream (if they ever add what they said they were going to) seems like a better deal.. It does make me happy to see other competition so Neptune and others can stop price-gouging people.
I went with the Reef Angel after the Apex, best switch I've ever done.
Nobody else has a rope leak detector you can surround around the tank. That was a major selling point for me. Because you know the tank will only leak where you put that little 2" by 2" leak sensor. :|

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of them needs to get with Amazon and see if they can't get the Amazon Echo to work with the controller. Then we could just ask Alexa to turn stuff on and off or whatever may be.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was interested in it, but the mindstream (if they ever add what they said they were going to) seems like a better deal.. It does make me happy to see other competition so Neptune and others can stop price-gouging people.
I went with the Reef Angel after the Apex, best switch I've ever done.
Nobody else has a rope leak detector you can surround around the tank. That was a major selling point for me. Because you know the tank will only leak where you put that little 2" by 2" leak sensor. :|
Mindstream was the one where you had to buy the $30 cartridges every month, right?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys, we understand everyone's excitement over the new technology, but we request that those who are posting commercial links which will benefit them personally refrain from doing so. Thanks for your help in this.

Last edited:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also a supporter of fishbit (jumped on the kickstarter after missing out on the beta one) and in my opinion this is more worth it to me than an apex. I only run one reef system, thus don't require much expandability.... the biggest selling point to me though is the use of smart phone or tablet over a dinky display screen. With an apex you have to connect to computer, and router, and then even requires game adapter for wireless access, the fishbit will send me alerts via the app if my heater fails, or if pH is off and can shut off or on needed devices to help remedy these things. Is the apex more advanced, absolutely, but I'm not looking for advanced, I'm looking for wireless tank control through my phone without needing to set up static IP addresses, and mess around with my router and 50 feet ethernet cables. I want something that connects directly to my wifi, and allows me to decide which outlets get turned off or on according to certain tank conditions (temp, pH, or salinity). I went with salinity for instance as I run tunze ATO, so now I will have three failsafes for my auto top off, the tunze eye sensor, the backup float switch, and finally if salinity drops fishbit will just shut down power to the tunze all together. Totally worth it in my book (can you tell I'm excited ) :)
You don't need a computer to run a apex you can use your smartphone, a tablet or computer using apex fusion.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the design of this. I don't like the cost. Why are people making different version of the same exact thing and then charging the same price? I would for sure 100% go with apex neptune over this. Plus, you can donate money for the kick start but no guarantee you'll ever see it.
Reefer I looked at fishbit as well and when I saw what they "wanted" as in price I balked. Maybe it was because I already had a Apex with orp, lab grade ph, wxm etc , I didn't have a salinity ( I have now) and I paid for everything roughly $250.00 for it ( got a steal on eBay) I thought it was too priced

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a smart power strip connected to a rasberry pi that converts the sensor probes ones and zeros(10110010) into temp, ph and salinity. Most smart power strips go for $50 with an app. This smart power strip and sensor controller with app is starting at $250? If they can get the temp controller, ph and salinity down to $250, i'm sold and will buy this and will pester everyone on r2r to buy this.

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need a computer to run a apex you can use your smartphone, a tablet or computer using apex fusion.

Haha I totally realize this.... I actually currently run an apex off my phone. I guess what I was getting at is with apex you still DO need a computer.... update firmware etc or at the very least need to hardwire into your router for updates. I like that fact that the fishbit is trying to change this with utilizing only wireless technology. Again I am an apex user and do LOVE THE APEX... didn't mean to come off sounding against apex, more or less just like the fishbit and am supporting it as a great option of people who maybe don't need so much control.

That said I have been loving fusion as well as you still do have the ability to get more complex as your system grows/changes, or you decide to tinker with things like automatic water changes. All in all I love the apex, but wanted to highlight some of the things I think fishbit has going for it and am excited to try it and compare to the apex.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah I kind of agree with you, and being a little humorous and sarcastic (I think if I had the money I might put into it but I love my apex too much

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed its hard not to love the apex.... with fusion they really have basically become the only controller on the market I would recommend to anyone. That and the fact that they have customer service and put time into R&D to continually crank out new products or add ons makes them the "standard" in the controller market. I will def have to compare the fishbit with the apex, and may be the controller that will take over my nano as the apex will be moved to my tank upgrade coming up in may. Overall i just like seeing new guys bringing reef products to market, and am excited to see how fishbit and the completely wireless control hold up over time to my apex.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I agree with you. I used to be a computer consultant and in being one I always had to have the next newest greatest thing. I'm glad I got out of that habit[emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha... unfortunately I'm still in that habit, lets just say the wallet does NOT appreciate it :D

OP
OP
Crimsonvice

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you guys that currently, there is no way that Fishbit can compete against Apex. Apex is a tried and proven controller, with so many applications. However, I think with time Fishbit could be there as well. Is it gonna be, I can guarantee that it will be, but I am willing to take the risk. I would have spent $500+ on an Apex (new, I probably would not have bought used). So I had already budgeted for the cash to go somewhere. Fishbit just suited my fancy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 88 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back