FISHBIT

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just pulled the trigger and pledged to support FISHBIT on Kickstater... SHHHH don't tell my wife! I have been researching aquarium controllers like crazy, and I feel that this looks like it will be the best for me. I know everyone has their own opinions on controllers, but for someone who wants ease of use and the ability to monitor and control your system without a crazy setup process, this may be it. Looks to be pretty much plug and play. Hopefully it turns out to be as awesome as it looks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is projected delivery date? Keep us updated on how everything goes. The easy setup seems almost too good to be true lol

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a good value for the Salinity package compared to Apex Gold but this seems so much less powerful and expandable. Hopefully they come out with expandable modules.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't like their funding method. They had a kickstarter just for their beta and now they are kick starting again? BS IMO

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slick design, but unless i'm reading this page wrong... for the cost of Fishbit (Fitbit rip IMO), you might as well get a Reefkeeper or even an Apex right? I mean why spend close to the same amount against other products that have proven success? The "monitor" isn't a visual display, so would you have to have a mobile device to actually use the thing? Thoughts?

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the + package does Salinity for 550 USD while Apex would cost 700 USD so there is good value if you need Salinity. But no modules for breakout box or DC pump control limits it's usefulness

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing Salinity actively would let you shut off your skimmer if it gets too low. If you are skimming wet and your ATO keeps dumping RO in the Salinity will fall so having a Salinity probe built in protects against that.

OP
OP
Crimsonvice

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slick design, but unless i'm reading this page wrong... for the cost of Fishbit (Fitbit rip IMO), you might as well get a Reefkeeper or even an Apex right? I mean why spend close to the same amount against other products that have proven success? The "monitor" isn't a visual display, so would you have to have a mobile device to actually use the thing? Thoughts?

You are right the cost is a little high, but a quality product does come at a price. As far as not having a display, I think that is not a reason to consider this. Everyone has a cell phone in their pocket or a tablet within a short distance, so that does not seem to be a concern for me. To use an Apex or reefkeeper to full potential you have to get on a computer also.
Well the + package does Salinity for 550 USD while Apex would cost 700 USD so there is good value if you need Salinity. But no modules for breakout box or DC pump control limits it's usefulness
I agree that there are some limitations as of now, but other companies had to start somewhere too. In my mind this is another option for a controller that has great potential. An alternative to the big namers. It has the features that I was looking for in a controller, out of the box, in a clean design. So i don't mind supporting the little guy in hopes for a great product down the road. A risk that others may not be willing to take.

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im also a supporter of fishbit (jumped on the kickstarter after missing out on the beta one) and in my opinion this is more worth it to me than an apex. I only run one reef system, thus don't require much expandability.... the biggest selling point to me though is the use of smart phone or tablet over a dinky display screen. With an apex you have to connect to computer, and router, and then even requires game adapter for wireless access, the fishbit will send me alerts via the app if my heater fails, or if pH is off and can shut off or on needed devices to help remedy these things. Is the apex more advanced, absolutely, but I'm not looking for advanced, I'm looking for wireless tank control through my phone without needing to set up static IP addresses, and mess around with my router and 50 feet ethernet cables. I want something that connects directly to my wifi, and allows me to decide which outlets get turned off or on according to certain tank conditions (temp, pH, or salinity). I went with salinity for instance as I run tunze ATO, so now I will have three failsafes for my auto top off, the tunze eye sensor, the backup float switch, and finally if salinity drops fishbit will just shut down power to the tunze all together. Totally worth it in my book (can you tell I'm excited ) :)

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, like I said it seems like a great value out of the box to do Salinity and WiFi out of the box for under 600 USD. I wish they would sell the Apex with no display at a lower cost for sure and not having built in wifi in 2016 is a bit silly.

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a market for the FishBit I am sure, but I am not it. Unless they have a programming language like the apex has, there is no way it can be as powerful or flexible as the apex. Simple should be cheap, because simple can't usually do nearly as much. As soon as you add more options, more flexibility, more power, it is no longer simple (even without a programming language).

The apex is not that hard. Do you need to learn a little? Of course...but once you get it down, you are infinitely more capable of controlling things exactly how you want to.

Salinity monitoring is cool, but probably only useful on the really smaller tanks which could swing a lot more (as small swings are hard to detect with conductivity anyways).

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the design of this. I don't like the cost. Why are people making different version of the same exact thing and then charging the same price? I would for sure 100% go with apex neptune over this. Plus, you can donate money for the kick start but no guarantee you'll ever see it.

OP
OP
Crimsonvice

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand what you are saying. This may not be for everyone. I was looking for an alternative to the major controllers on the market, and this suited my fancy. Just letting people know.

Just as a side note, you only are charged if they meet their goal. So if the project is not backed, you are not out any coin.

jent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a side note, you only are charged if they meet their goal. So if the project is not backed, you are not out any coin.

Yes, but just because they meet their goal does not mean they have a requirement to actually deliver their promised products. You can absolutely get charged and not get a product.

Will that happen with fishbit? Unlikely (they seem fairly far in the process and pretty stand up guys), but it has happened many times before for sure. You are NOT protected if they find they can't deliver, or end up delivering 10 years later than expected.

OP
OP
Crimsonvice

Crimsonvice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but just because they meet their goal does not mean they have a requirement to actually deliver their promised products. You can absolutely get charged and not get a product.

Will that happen with fishbit? Unlikely (they seem fairly far in the process and pretty stand up guys), but it has happened many times before for sure. You are NOT protected if they find they can't deliver, or end up delivering 10 years later than expected.
Like I said the option is there for those that are looking. I have supported the project, and am just offering the same chance to others that are in the market. However, it is up to them to decide if this is something they would like to participate in.

Thanks for your input though.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back