OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New heads popping out of the spas left and right! The bam bams are already growing onto my rock.
6fe011deb4cc8cbdf013fdd925c9b6dc.jpg
dc70816ae5cd18e18e7a542558ccf36d.jpg

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came back from a ten day vacation and everything was fine but the corals were a little ticked off they hadn't gotten their weekly water change. Bam Bam zoanthids have about five new heads and are attached to the rock, started with two heads on my sunny d's and now have four, Candy apple reds have six heads instead of four too. Even my new monti cap is showing signs of growth! I also noticed sponges growing in the back of my tank; there must be fifty of them in the back and even have a couple in the display. I have heard that sponges are beneficial but I am not sure that having so many is?
038e4770b38c8250fd6c3d74af97c71c.jpg
e9596d628da9100a64f704c015231e38.jpg
370fbf6aec4d74d0cff71c6dccd78d0f.jpg

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a reef octopus hob 2000 to the tank and it has been producing a darkish teas colored skimmate. I am still working on getting it tuned properly but I like it so far.
e3d7b199e37e999a2787dbb53221885b.jpg

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received a big package from BRS with a Hanna checker for Phosphorus, marine pure bio spheres, two mini reactors, and some GFO and Carbon. Phosphates were at 0.14 so I will try to bring them down with the GfO and water changes.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really loved the set up of your tank, even after removing the top layer of rocks. Right now I regret settling for the JBJ 30, but its still a wonderful tank. Im currently on day 15 of my cycle and am looking to add two of the same clowns as you and probably a diamond goby or a starry blenny. What other live stock are you thinking of adding? Any inverts?

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really loved the set up of your tank, even after removing the top layer of rocks. Right now I regret settling for the JBJ 30, but its still a wonderful tank. Im currently on day 15 of my cycle and am looking to add two of the same clowns as you and probably a diamond goby or a starry blenny. What other live stock are you thinking of adding? Any inverts?

Thanks. I liked the arch aquascape I used to have too but I was too worried about it falling over and hitting the front glass or corals. It also seemed like I was going to have issues with coral placement as there was so much rock in the display. Now I am having problems because I have no where to put new corals! I need to do an update on the tank because so much has changed.

As far as livestock I really like my Midas blenny but they do get pretty big. I ordered some micro brittle stars to add to my clean up crew, which should be here on Monday. I have issues keeping snails and hermits because of my melanarus wrasse but I still have the occasional turbo/ astrea snail and hermit.

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updated shots of the tank that I just took. As far as an update goes, I got rid of the reef octopus hob skimmer because it was so unappealing aesthetically, loud, and leaked occasionally. I switched it out for the tunze 9004 with the dc controller. I couldn't be happier with this skimmer, it is silent and I can't see it. Corals I have added are purple pocillapora, green birdsnest, rainbow montipora, a variety of ricordia, and 9 more different zoas: la lakers, red hornets, utter chaos, blondies, emeralds, wwc twizzler, blue steel, Sc orange rainbows, and lunar eclipses.
c394b2a7827b61347ab3fa69b9111c37.jpg
0c30cd3593ece8486224870ecfc8cc82.jpg
cc2915130dd3b4c9dfe9246420df20ee.jpg
561acbaee7bff448e70ad43ba0916d7c.jpg
094cb287b695ceaeaa61af3cb56ae9c0.jpg

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me more about that little fuge if you don't mind?

Sure! I basically took two pieces of eggcrate to stop the chaeto from getting into the pumps/going everywhere; I found that I only needed two because the glass baffles and back wall acted as a barrier. Next I took a knife and cut the black backing off to match the light. Then I took an old orbit marine led I had and just put it vertically on the outside of the tank. I took the return tubing of one of the reactors and placed it so that it provides a little bit of flow. I think it looks pretty good, but we will see how the chaeto grows. Let me know if you have any more questions!

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure! I basically took two pieces of eggcrate to stop the chaeto from getting into the pumps/going everywhere; I found that I only needed two because the glass baffles and back wall acted as a barrier. Next I took a knife and cut the black backing off to match the light. Then I took an old orbit marine led I had and just put it vertically on the outside of the tank. I took the return tubing of one of the reactors and placed it so that it provides a little bit of flow. I think it looks pretty good, but we will see how the chaeto grows. Let me know if you have any more questions!

I'm interested in setting up something like this in my tank so just tell me about it as it goes on haha. My only concern is it growing through the egg crate and getting everywhere.

SeaWorthyKC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like hear if you start seeing benefits from the fuge ....I have been thinking of doing one in mine with the InTank fuge box they sell for the 2nd chamber that fits the jbj45

OP
OP
Fishninja

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely will keep you guys posted. Yesterday I could see bubbles all over the chaeto because it was photosynthesizing so much, so I am hopeful.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back