Fitting a rollermat in a Reefer XL 425

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Reefer XL 425 with the v2 sump, and it's so packed with equipment that I have no room for a roller mat. I really want to replace my filter cups/socks with a roller mat, but just don't see any easy way to make it fit. Because my skimmer partially blocks the filter sock trays from fully extending, I use filter cups with fleece that I can replace without fully extending the cup trays. To actually swap out filter socks I would need to tip my skimmer out of the way to get the socks out of the trays. It's a major pain.

I'm debating whether to re-do all my sump plumbing to try to retrofit a roller mat in the sock area and either relocate or eliminate the refugium above the filter cups, or if I should just look into replacing the whole sump with a 3rd-party or custom sump designed specifically for a roller mat. Are there any Reefer XL 425 owners out there who have done this, and what would you recommend?

Here's my current sump:

IMG_5039.jpg

Here's my build thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-red-sea-reefer-xl-425-build.358990/

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump...

Any recommendations on a 3rd-party sump and rollermat that would fit under a Reefer XL 425 cabinet?

Maximum sump footprint would be 28" x 21".

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever come up with a solution you like for this?
I did not find any easy sump replacement with a rollermat. Instead, I went with a much larger Trigger Platinum34 sump which will require modification to the Red Sea cabinet in order to fit. See my new build thread here for details on my plan to fit this sump inside the cabinet:

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old sump is nearly empty now. It's amazing how many vermetid snails and other creatures lined the sump:
IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

I removed the refugium (was the original Red Sea ATO reservoir which I converted), and it too was pretty messy inside. I think I last cleaned it about 2 years ago.
IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

In the 3 years this tank has been running, I never took apart the 1" flow sensor on my return line, mainly because it was still working and I didn't want to mess with it. It had quite a bit of debris inside, so I'm actually surprised it still worked.
IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

It cleaned up easily:
IMG_0181.jpg

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for my 525xl, I couldn't find a way to fit a roller mat in the stock sump and bought a Trigger Platinum 34. Very happy with the purchase. It comes with a built-in roller mat.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back