Flame Angel Hardy or Not?

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I just wanted to hear some your experiences with the flame angel...thinking about getting one but before I do I want to know how hardy they are? I’m asking this because most prices have gone up way out of hand and I wanna know it’s worth or if I’m walking on thin ice?
For example I know that a 6 line wrasse is a Very hardy fish as I’ve experienced this in the past...as well as most puffer fish so just wanna see where they flam angel sits on the hardy scale my guess is kinda hardy? But let me know thanks!

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not made of glass like some fish are (such as the Copperband Butterfly, Moorish Idol, Achilles Tang, Tamarin Wrasse, etc.), but they're not damsels. They're pretty hardy though. I believe the captive bred ones tend to be even hardier.

Really though, the trick to keeping fish is just providing the the right environment (space, tank size, etc.) and making sure they eat well. They're generally (with some exceptions) more forgiving of water quality than the finickier corals we have.

Also be sure to quarantine.

OP
OP
A

aquakj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not made of glass like some fish are (such as the Copperband Butterfly, Moorish Idol, Achilles Tang, Tamarin Wrasse, etc.), but they're not damsels. They're pretty hardy though. I believe the captive bred ones tend to be even hardier.

Really though, the trick to keeping fish is just providing the the right environment (space, tank size, etc.) and making sure they eat well. They're generally (with some exceptions) more forgiving of water quality than the finickier corals we have.

Also be sure to quarantine.
Thanks, yea the bottom line is as long as your parameters are in check and everything else is suitable for the fish theres no reason that it shouldnt make it, unless its already sick... just wanted to hear some experiences I actually read in another forum that people had trouble keeping them alive.. that flame angels can be okay for a while and the next thing you know they just drop dead...how valid is that idk though

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not found the flame to be particularly hardy. Doesn't ship well. Once you get past the first month or so, should be good. Potters has a reputation of dropping after a few months; not the flame.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angels tend to be pretty hardy but they’re not bullet proof obviously. Make sure you get one that looks healthy and eating at an LFS or divers den. The trick to long term success is feeding many different foods such a brine, mysis, angelfish formula, etc.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always found them to be relatively hardy. I kept them long before my days of stellar husbandry and maintenance (late 90s/early 00s before I reefed) without issue.. They've always been the best looking dwarf angel by far to me. Just wish they were more reef safe.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
dredging this back up. I have bought two flames on my last couple of wholesale buys and the first one only made it about a week or so in qt. The second one just died on me today after making it through qt and less then a week in the display. I didnt see any major harassment of the fish. Just surprised to find it dead today. I added an emperor at the same time and it is doing well so far. Beginning to think I shouldnt try again. At $60 plus shipping it pains me financially and emotionally.
Jeff

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For whatever reason, they are not easy to acclimate to aquarium life. I have often suspected cyanide collection methods, but I have no evidence. Once you get them through the first few months, they are very hardy IME. I went through 3 or 4 unsuccessfully before I got the two that I currently have. Definitely helps if you can see them eating well for a while at your LFS.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For whatever reason, they are not easy to acclimate to aquarium life. I have often suspected cyanide collection methods, but I have no evidence. Once you get them through the first few months, they are very hardy IME. I went through 3 or 4 unsuccessfully before I got the two that I currently have. Definitely helps if you can see them eating well for a while at your LFS.
Mine seemed to be pretty shy so I would think on the reef for a collector they will hid deep into a reef and probably do use cyanide to collect them. I might try another one on my next order. Such a bright and beautiful fish.
Jeff

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back