Flame angel looking rough

Discussion in 'Tank Emergency' started by Mordie101, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mordie101

Mordie101 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor North Alabama Reef Club

IMG_4874.JPG IMG_4873.JPG

Can anyone tell what those white patches are? I mistakenly let my girlfriend inspect this fish at the store and “pick it out” I saw the torn fins and thought okay it’s a little beat up but might be salvageable.. now that it’s in the tank I am noticing these white patches come up.. any ideas? My QT tanks pump broke this morning ironically so I took the risk and now I’m regretting it..

Tags:

2. ccombs

ccombs Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Hard to tell from pic, but it looks bacterial since it is a broad white patch. I haven't used it firsthand, but I have heard Erythromycin & Minocycline works well as a broad treatment when you cannot pinpoint what type of bacterial infection it is.

Mordie101 likes this.
  3. Mordie101

Thanks for the help.. I’ve got some polyplab medic I am gonna start adding in tank tonight. Because I thought it was bacterial but wanted another opinion.. sorry for pic quality it’s hiding in my shrimps cave and the shrimp has been cleaning it.

4. ccombs

No problem. I would certainly want some more experienced reefers to add to what I said just to be sure I am not sending you down the wrong path.

Mordie101 likes this.
  5. Frtdrmrose7

Frtdrmrose7 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa

Can you get a pic with just white light?

Mordie101 likes this.
  6. Mordie101

IMG_4882.JPG IMG_4885.JPG IMG_4889.JPG

I cut the whites up in the tank a little hopefully without disturbing everyone

Sorry the pictures are so grainy.. this iPhone camera sucks

7. mattzang

mattzang Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

hopefully it's not uronema, might want to post this in the disease forum

Mordie101 likes this.
  8. Frtdrmrose7

I was hoping for a better view of this spot. Does it resemble more of a sore versus a white spot? Either way he needs to be in QT and treated aggressively for bacterial infection. But that spot has me concerned 792B3372-E66C-4C90-8C72-880FC62BA63E.jpeg

mattzang likes this.
  9. Mordie101

I’m unable to even see that spot with or without camera.. not sure about it. There looks like a small bump maybe in the same area but I no longer see a white spot there. IMG_4889.JPG IMG_4896.JPG

10. Frtdrmrose7

Ok is there any redness developing behind or around those white spots? I’m concerned about Uronema as it becoming more prevalent in these Angels. At s minimum he needs at least the trifecta (metro, Kanaplex, Furan 2) and he needs it ASAP.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dosing-the-trifecta.386582/

11. Mordie101

No it’s completely white. No redness. I can try to get those from my LFS/PetSmart tomorrow if they have them. Thanks for your help!

Frtdrmrose7 likes this.
  12. ccombs

Thanks for the new pics, those spots look completely different than what I was thinking I saw. I thought the single spot was a reflection and the reflection was one giant spot.

If it is Uronema you will need to use metro. Metro is best used with food for an internal infection like this. Manufacturer websites will give the information on how to soak the food and prepare it.

Mordie101 likes this.
  13. Mordie101

Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted