Flame angel in QT what is this

thecommentr86

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 28, 2020
Messages
131
Reaction score
24
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I recently got a flame angel with a springer dotty back (same tank) I put them in a 10 gallon QT, and they have been eating etc but this morning I really looked at the flame angel and noticed one of its fins torn a bit with a white film. The fish is acting fine and eating haven’t seen it rub in rocks but I’m not home that often. I have copper power on hand. Unsure of this is damage in the bag or him showing signs of something. Any advice on next steps is appreciated if I should wait or start treatment asap

IMG_7687.png
 
Mild Lymphocystis (?) And while we're talking, I keep an eye on aggression between those two (even when you're not looking; i.e., per video camera) in that 10-gallon QT.
 
It looks like a healthy fish to me. If it were me, I would observe him for a few days in the QT. If he continues to eat and swims normally, I would not start immediately medicating. A number of things could have caused that. Could have been damaged at the LFS or during shipping.
 
Need picture in white light with the blue channels off
Just sent it hopefully it’s clear enough. It’s a pretty small portion the QT does have sand the bottom so I’d have to remove that lol but I could siphon it out. I can’t tell if it’s damage from when I got him or something that developed over time in the past 5 days. He’s bright, eats, and swims his diet is brine flakes and mysis shrimp frozen. Same with the Springer dottyback I haven’t seen him rub against the rock but it looks like when he swims the fin works but at the same time it’s “damaged”
Mild Lymphocystis (?) And while we're talking, I keep an eye on aggression between those two (even when you're not looking; i.e., per video camera) in that 10-gallon QT.
I’ll try and set up my phone at night maybe. They came from the same tank the only time I notice mild aggression is during feeding (in all my tanks this always happens) but they sleep in two seperate PVC pipes and seem to respect each others space but I will keep an eye out. Unfortunately I don’t have space for a larger / longer QT and lesson learned about not having a QT had another flame that got wiped out by velvet and I had him for almost 2 years it was tragic…I miss him
 
It looks like a healthy fish to me. If it were me, I would observe him for a few days in the QT. If he continues to eat and swims normally, I would not start immediately medicating. A number of things could have caused that. Could have been damaged at the LFS or during shipping.
Would you
Looks like fin may have been nipped and early bacterial infection? Need some help @vetteguy53081
potentially he was in a HEAVILY stocked tank at the LFS with other flames and large wrasses as well. I picked this one as when they fed them he was the most active, voracious and fatty but also didn’t seem to bother the other fish during eating
 
It looks like a healthy fish to me. If it were me, I would observe him for a few days in the QT. If he continues to eat and swims normally, I would not start immediately medicating. A number of things could have caused that. Could have been damaged at the LFS or during shipping.
Would you recommend I remove the sand corner in the QT tank? I put that on case I have a wrasse to QT but now I’m learning I should of put the sand in a container…if I need to use copper apprently sand is a no go 😔
 
Would you recommend I remove the sand corner in the QT tank? I put that on case I have a wrasse to QT but now I’m learning I should of put the sand in a container…if I need to use copper apprently sand is a no go 😔
I can't really give you good advice on this. I tend to let me fish work through this sort of stuff unless it is very dire. If it were me, I would move the wrasse into the display tank and continue to monitor the angel. 10 gallons is a little small for two QT mates. FWIW, I use a 30 gallon rubber tub for a QT. It works great.
 
I can't really give you good advice on this. I tend to let me fish work through this sort of stuff unless it is very dire. If it were me, I would move the wrasse into the display tank and continue to monitor the angel. 10 gallons is a little small for two QT mates. FWIW, I use a 30 gallon rubber tub for a QT. It works great.
Yea the springer dottyback is a small lil guy but they can be feisty he seems chill but I don’t watch the QT like a hawk. I’ll probably do it tomorrow as they are sleeping right now I know he was captive bread so the odds of him having anything are significantly less. Of the damage spreads than my May treat both with copper power. I’m actually insanely luckily to have copper power even in Canada as 99% of fish medication here is now illegal to buy
 
Hello I recently got a flame angel with a springer dotty back (same tank) I put them in a 10 gallon QT, and they have been eating etc but this morning I really looked at the flame angel and noticed one of its fins torn a bit with a white film. The fish is acting fine and eating haven’t seen it rub in rocks but I’m not home that often. I have copper power on hand. Unsure of this is damage in the bag or him showing signs of something. Any advice on next steps is appreciated if I should wait or start treatment asap

IMG_7687.png
Its a fin ray issue and not lympho and with goo water quality will restore to normal.
 
Its a fin ray issue and not lympho and with goo water quality will restore to normal.
Thank you so much! I will watch aggression between the two and if I notice any remove the Springer. This helps ease me will keep on eye on his fin I posted some other closer up pics!
 
I can't really give you good advice on this. I tend to let me fish work through this sort of stuff unless it is very dire. If it were me, I would move the wrasse into the display tank and continue to monitor the angel. 10 gallons is a little small for two QT mates. FWIW, I use a 30 gallon rubber tub for a QT. It works great.
Yea the springer dottyback is a small lil guy but they can be feisty he seems chill but I don’t watch the QT like a hawk. I’ll probably do it tomorrow as they are sleeping right now I know he was captive bread so the odds of him having anything are significantly less. Of the damage spreads than my May treat both with copper power. I’m actually insanely luckily to have copper power even in Canada as 99% of fish medication here is now illegal to buy
I preemptively got almost everything medicine related for quarantine from Amazon; copper power, rally, prazi, etc. you just have to look a bit harder for it. I’d rather have everything I need on hand, in case I need it, worst case is, it expires and I have to drop any pharmaceuticals off at vet or pharmacy for disposal. I could not get the name brand prazi everyone in US uses, but you can ask if you have a choice and the medics will let you know which is a better option, in their opinion, and why. I think formalin was the only thing I could not get, or I did not try super hard to, as my LFS treats with it before they sell their fish, so it seems unnecessary.
 
I preemptively got almost everything medicine related for quarantine from Amazon; copper power, rally, prazi, etc. you just have to look a bit harder for it. I’d rather have everything I need on hand, in case I need it, worst case is, it expires and I have to drop any pharmaceuticals off at vet or pharmacy for disposal. I could not get the name brand prazi everyone in US uses, but you can ask if you have a choice and the medics will let you know which is a better option, in their opinion, and why. I think formalin was the only thing I could not get, or I did not try super hard to, as my LFS treats with it before they sell their fish, so it seems unnecessary.
I’ve tried and they got sent back to the US, I have copper power, metroplex, kanaplex, ruby reef rally (this I swear doesn’t work) some worm medication but pazipro is the one thing I can’t get
 
Its a fin ray issue and not lympho and with goo water quality will restore to normal.
Not sure if this changes your diagnosis but this is also on his tail I just noticed this idk how I missed this before
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7703.png
    IMG_7703.png
    721.7 KB · Views: 98
Thank you so much! I will watch aggression between the two and if I notice any remove the Springer. This helps ease me will keep on eye on his fin I posted some other closer up pics!

Yeah - my first thought was tankmate aggression, but springeri aren’t usually too aggressive.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 12 26.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new