Flame Angel white spots

sneakerhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past few days, the flame angel has been sleeping near some very narrow rocks and has been behaving differently.
I've noticed these patches as well which look somewhat greyish white, please refer to the attached pictures. Please let me know what you guys think

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.00.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.00.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-07 at 10.00.47 AM.png

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Uronema or a bacterial infection to me. I would recommend moving to a QT and treating with the trifecta for 14 days. (Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan-2)

This will have both bacterial infections and Uronema covered.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the best way to set up a qt fast? Any recommendations?

Get a sterile tank(bare bottom),HOB filter (no media), heater, air stone, ammonia alert badge, and a bottle of biospira. Use a plain filter sponge and soak the biospira into it and place into the HOB or tank with biospira. Pour any remaining biospira into the tank.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Uronema or a bacterial infection to me. I would recommend moving to a QT and treating with the trifecta for 14 days. (Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan-2)

Would you mind educating me for a minute? I have dealt with Uronema and it always presented itself as darker spots, can it present itself in this manner as well?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree but in addition I see ich spots on the face. I’d add copper to that mix.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind educating me for a minute? I have dealt with Uronema and it always presented itself as darker spots, can it present itself in this manner as well?
Uronema isn’t spots, it usually presents itself on the side of the fish more like infections. It’s also an internal parasite so you’ll want to feed metroplex and focus (to bind it to the food) for 14 days just in case.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema isn’t spots, it usually presents itself on the side of the fish more like infections. It’s also an internal parasite so you’ll want to feed metroplex and focus (to bind it to the food) for 14 days just in case.
Sorry, I might have not been clear. I know that Uronema itself isn't the spots, I am just talking about how it presents itself. In my dealings and readings on it, Uronema always seems to present like this.

Unknown-6.jpg

How did you deduce Uronema from the white/grey markings. I guess I am asking for your process of how you got to your conclusion.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I might have not been clear. I know that Uronema itself isn't the spots, I am just talking about how it presents itself. In my dealings and readings on it, Uronema always seems to present like this.

Unknown-6.jpg

How did you deduce Uronema from the white/grey markings. I guess I am asking for your process of how you got to your conclusion.

Uronema sometimes begins with a white to whiteish grey discoloration of those areas that eventually turn into those red sores that are often the too late to do much condition.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema sometimes begins with a white to whiteish grey discoloration of those areas that eventually turn into those red sores that are often the too late to do much condition.
Thanks! In my personal experience it moved so quickly I either did not have the spots or missed them.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! In my personal experience it moved so quickly I either did not have the spots or missed them.
You can really see this on Copperband Butterflies and some other larger angels. Might be the size or they are much slower moving so it's easier to see develop. :( Things you just don't want to see . . . :mad:

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missing air stone for now but besides that, I’ve dosed the trifecta. I just added filter floss in the hob.
How often should I feed? And should I still bind the food?

8C60C554-2F0E-458C-BD99-5EFC16C5B2AB.jpeg

I would still bind meds to the food for the cycle of your ABX’s.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back