Flame angelfish and corals

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted a dwarf angelfish in my reef tank so I decided to try one out. I picked up a small flame angel a few weeks ago and it seems like my Kenya tree hasn’t been doing as well since then. Does anyone have tips on keeping them from nipping on corals? I’m hesitant to return it since it’s so cool and also so pricey. Please let me know, thanks

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a coral beauty and a flame angel. Both are model citizens in the reef and haven't picked at any corals... that said, it's partly luck and partly keeping them well fed.
I'd recommend feeding them well, several times a day... mysis, brine, marine cuisine work well for me. There's really no magic that works...
To be honest, having it pick at a kenya tree is not that bad; keeps it pruned ;-)

OP
OP
W

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn’t eat flakes or pellets like my other fish. I’ve only had to feed it mysis shrimp I can try feeding it more of that, thanks so much

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted a dwarf angelfish in my reef tank so I decided to try one out. I picked up a small flame angel a few weeks ago and it seems like my Kenya tree hasn’t been doing as well since then. Does anyone have tips on keeping them from nipping on corals? I’m hesitant to return it since it’s so cool and also so pricey. Please let me know, thanks

All angels are reef safe if you feed them right. At least that's the advice I got from a guy with a tank full of angels and SPS. One of my favorite tanks to look at.

I could never bring myself to dump enough food in the tank to have the same success. Maybe you can if you have a good enough system in place to export nutrients.

TheDorkLord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** Disclaimer - I'm a noob **

From what I previously researched on the forum for a coral beauty, there were 2 options I was gonna try (hopefully better reefers that I will speak up as well).

1. Feed it more -Maybe it won't be as inclined to snack if it's full
--and/or--
2. Try an acclimation box -So it gets used to it(?)

Again, this is just me repeating what I previously read here but, maybe that'll give you something to search for.

HTH

OP
OP
W

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m definitely able to feed more. My tank naturally stays at 0 nitrates and I have to dose it sometimes

OP
OP
W

willforr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was one of my favorites too cause it got big. If it went after my zoanthids I wouldn’t have even cared lol

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My coral beauty was fine for a long time and one day decided my Zoa garden and hammer coral were the buffet. A heater malfunction took him out but honestly it would’ve been him or the coral eventually.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8749346.jpg

jt8791

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn’t eat flakes or pellets like my other fish. I’ve only had to feed it mysis shrimp I can try feeding it more of that, thanks so much
It might start taking dry food after a while. My flame angel started eating flakes after about a month or so, haven’t seen it eat pellets yet though. Other options on frozen are;

Spirulina mysis
Spirulina brine
Regular mysis and pe mysis
Mega marine

Might be more that I haven’t tried or seen it eat yet.

worst comes to worst, soak the flake or pellets in tank water and add some garlic guard. Think that was how we got ours to try flakes.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back