Flame Hawk gamble

Mark Claman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Flame Hawk fish in my nano for a couple of years and just love this guy. I want to add a bright red fish into my 260g reef tank and am tempted to throw him in there. My only real concerns are my yasha goby and pistol shrimp, as well as some large scarlett hermit crabs. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be a good idea or not?

One of his favorite things to do is perch on a rock and wait for something to catch his eye.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... And Hi Mark!! Welcome to R2R!!

And this is the Mark I already know yes?

OP
OP
M

Mark Claman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... And Hi Mark!! Welcome to R2R!!

And this is the Mark I already know yes?

Yes! How are you Ben? Figured I'd finally try out R2R.

The Flame Hawk has been a model citizen, but I haven't had any hermit crabs or really small fish in the nano. In the long run, I think I will enjoy watching the Flame Hawk in my reef tank, so I will probably take the chance. I had one in my old reef tank and do recall that the hermit crabs ended up suffering.

I'm thinking about clearing out the nano so I can go your route with a small frogfish.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd do the same!!

And I think you'll find you really like it here!!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that they are usually pretty safe with fish and inverts already in there and a yasha is borderline too big for a flame hawk.

OP
OP
M

Mark Claman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't worry about the yasha as much as his good buddy, the Pistol Shrimp.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife, rarely much involved with my reefing hobby, was visiting the LFS with me one day, and really liked a flame hawk they had. In the interest of trying to encourage any involvement on her part, I bought the darned thing, knowing they were shrimp killers.

Two days later, two red skunk cleaners and a blood shrimp were gone, and I had to tear the entire reef apart to catch the darned thing. Traded him back to the LFS for a few shrimp to replace the ones he ate.

Never again. I like shrimp... no hawkfish for me.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a Flame nails another fish it chomps down on the other's spine about halfway down the body. It then proceeds to shake the victim violently, probably trying to kill it. I once saw one attack a small percula in a LFS. The perc had just been acclimated and dropped into a tank. The Flame nailed it in seconds flat. I also once had a Fridmani in a tank with a Flame. I would periodically see missing scales on the dottyback - on each side of the fish in the top mid-spine area. You may want to keep an eye out for similar damage on your Yasha...

I would change the "One of his favorite things to do is perch on a rock and wait for something to catch his eye." line to "One of his favorite things to do is perch on a rock and wait for something to pounce on.".

One other Flame Hawk warning... 30-odd years ago a friend had one that learned how to tail-slap an Astrea Snail off the glass and then take some bites out of it as it lay on the tank bottom unable to right itself.

OP
OP
M

Mark Claman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added the flame hawk into the tank about a week ago. And I definitely love the red color he adds to the tank.

After 2 some odd years in the nano, he seems to be confused by his new home. I’m sure he will eventually get back into his normal routine. So far he spends a lot of time swimming parallel to the glass and seems to be looking for a way out. Not what I would have expected considering he is going from a 30 gallon environment to 260 gallons.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He just can't believe his luck... His own personal ocean..

In reality, he's just exploring his new surroundings. Still eating?

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1FEDA293-FD10-4773-A411-484FB8F6BA83.jpeg
I think your flame needs a friend to hang with, buy another smaller flame.

I have a pair and they are adorable together...had 3+ yrs, no problems bothering a pair of skunk cleaners, Halloween hermits, blue leg hermits or serpent stars.

E563DB42-66A8-4E18-8EA7-08BCD0D8328A.jpeg

2A286FED-F737-458C-BE2D-0D6DFB61EF93.jpeg

RyanReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you have me nervous. I have a Flame in qt now. Was going to add him to my dt in 30 ish days. The dt, 100gal, only has a clown, cleanershrip, and anemone shrimp in it. Is he going to off my shrimp the moment I drop him in? A friend gave him to me may be a permanent resident of the qt until arrangements can be made.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you have me nervous. I have a Flame in qt now. Was going to add him to my dt in 30 ish days. The dt, 100gal, only has a clown, cleanershrip, and anemone shrimp in it. Is he going to off my shrimp the moment I drop him in? A friend gave him to me may be a permanent resident of the qt until arrangements can be made.

Very likely

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back