Flame Hawk or Longnose hawk

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could have a pair of either in your tank, which would you choose?

Why would you choose it? color, behavior ?

Is there a different hawkfish you would choose (geometric)?

Which is best behaved in a reef? Which shows the least aggression?

I don't have any experience with hawkfish but I'm looking to get a pair. So any insight would be appreciated. I do well with fussy eaters, if you think they are fussy tell me what you feed yours.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hawkfish should be considered a danger to smaller inverts, snails for the most part should be okay but I would be wary with shrimp and crabs.

I've only had a longnose hawkfish by itself but I have seen some pairings in some tanks. I will say the longnose is probably one of the more interesting looking hawkfish, since it is pretty unique in body shape. All hawkfish sort of perch on corals/rocks/powerheads/etc. and like to keep an eye on their owners and what's going on outside the tank, so for that reason they're really neat to keep and watch.

They are probably best as one of the smallest fish in the tank, my little longnose hawkfish has started to bully my similarly sized Pink-Streaked Wrasse who he will eventually outgrow and probably need separating from for the wrasse's sake. I would also probably wait to add them to the aquarium last, unless you are adding something else that is super territorial and aggressive such as a damselfish.

The geometric pygmy hawk is a great starter hawkfish, they get along well in most tanks and don't get big enough to be able to consume large ornamental shrimp such as Skunk Cleaners and Flame Shrimp, that doesn't mean that they probably won't try at some point though.

I've never really heard of a hawkfish being a picky eater but that's not to say it can't happen. My longnose eats practically anything, even nori sheets. I would start out with some mysis shrimp or other chunky foods. After that they should start taking to other things such as flakes and pellets. If you do get a really picky eater, live glass shrimp or adult brine shrimp would be a good food option.

Aggression-wise, I do believe the flame hawks have more of a reputation as being a bully in the tank than the longnose. I chose my longnose mostly because he was only an inch long at the store and could grow up a bit in my 20 gallon. I love his coloration and personality, but I've also come to learn that they are not as likely to terrorize the whole tank and I will need to give him a bigger home eventually, which was all a part of my plan anyways :)

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Longnose hawk, they are usually less aggressive and to me are a little more interesting. They both mostly just perch all day long. Flame is kinda cool too bc they have big personalities but I️ feel like they are more aggressive in my experience at least. Both are cool though.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. My tank got wiped in a hurricane. When I redo it, I'm hoping for a pair of longnose or geometric (which is actually in the anthias family). My tank is a 125 gallon so lots of space. A very large yellow tang (will probably rehome him) survived the wipe and a pair of pink skunk clowns (who will have an anemone). I would like to keep the tank not too aggressive and have a goby pair and/or mandarin pair probably a trio of anthias. Maybe a small angel pair. Everything will be in pairs or trios as I'm trying to breed multiple species. I'll probably get a cardinal pair but not bangaii as they are more aggressive then their peers, so maybe red cardinal or threadfin.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife, rarely interested in my aquarium, fell for a flame hawk at the LFS once. Neat looking fish, odd habits, just caught her eye. Knowing better, but trying to encourage her interest, I brought the darned thing home. It killed 3 skunk cleaner shrimp and a blood red cleaner in the first week. Had to tear the tank apart to catch him. Traded him back to the LFS for a pair of cleaner shrimp. No more hawkfish for me, thanks.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife, rarely interested in my aquarium, fell for a flame hawk at the LFS once. Neat looking fish, odd habits, just caught her eye. Knowing better, but trying to encourage her interest, I brought the darned thing home. It killed 3 skunk cleaner shrimp and a blood red cleaner in the first week. Had to tear the tank apart to catch him. Traded him back to the LFS for a pair of cleaner shrimp. No more hawkfish for me, thanks.
Thanks for the input.

Yeah I knew that they are a menace to shrimp. I did read that the longnose is less likely but still will eat shrimp they can catch/fit in their mouth. So I won't plan on shrimp in that tank or large shrimp when the hawkfish is small and just see what happens.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are among my favorites. They pair equally easily with small individuals. You could even have a pr of each in your tank.

They are a threat to shrimp, but if the shrimp are in the tank first and get to a decent size will be left alone.

They are super hardy and not picky.

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My longnose hawk is my most recent addition and is starting to really become one of my favorite fish in the tank. I have a pair of skunk cleaners in the tank with him and having no issues so far but they're both fairly large and the hawk is about 2" give or take.

He's not shy at all and regularly comes over to whichever side of the tank I happen to be on and hang out. He sleeps on my frag rack.

He's also makes sure I know when it's dinner time (which he thinks is ALL the time).

20180507_181413.jpg

20180518_195557.jpg

Tmm87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tmm87 that is a great picture. It is like he posed for you.

He's quite the character. I use one of the IM food defrosters to feed mysis and reef frenzy when I don't want to spot feed. He'll swim right up inside and poke his nose through the holes. I've had a little luck getting him to eat from my fingers but he decides to be shy sometimes...guess my big fingers scare him. He swam off with a chunk of reef frenzy half as long as he is yesterday.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a longnose hawk and a pair of flame hawks together. They had so much to your personality to your tank that I will always have them in mine. The Flame Hawks have very droll expressions and are very curious. As you can see from @Tmm87 ‘s pic, there is nothing like the pattern on a Longnose Hawk.

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read the flames can be more aggressive then the long nose. Did yours have different levels of aggression? and with what (kind of other fish or conspecific). And I'm looking for any aggression even if it wasn't really a problem. I'm thinking of adding to my 125 and haven't decided if that is going to be a seahorse peaceful tank or a minimum/mild aggression tank. I've put the hawkfish down for only in a mild aggression tank not a peaceful tank.

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a long nose and he was fine with all my fish and shrimp, I like longnose hawks because there’s no other fish that looks like them, they don’t look like a typical fish. They are interesting to watch, I’m thinking about adding a flame hawkfish as I find them more humorous to observe

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CE971572-F214-426A-8073-3D2AC096A68D.jpeg
From what I've read the flames can be more aggressive then the long nose. Did yours have different levels of aggression? and with what (kind of other fish or conspecific). And I'm looking for any aggression even if it wasn't really a problem. I'm thinking of adding to my 125 and haven't decided if that is going to be a seahorse peaceful tank or a minimum/mild aggression tank. I've put the hawkfish down for only in a mild aggression tank not a peaceful tank.
My flame pair is not aggressive at all. I’ve had the longnose for over 3 years. The longnose mildly chased the flames when they where added but then ignored them. The longnose did not want to share her gorgonian perch. So I added another gorgonian on the other side of the tank. Then the longnose was content to let the Flames go anywhere including her old perch. I have not experienced my longnose or my flames bothering any of my fish. My hawks eat, perch and explore but leave the rest of the fish alone. The Flames do like to watch owners and run to the front of the tank as soon as they see me. But so do my YWG and jawfish.
I would say my Longnose is curious but not as bold.
If you get both Longnose and Flame Pairs you can add perch areas in several areas in your tank before, where the hawks might have a little sense of camouflage. They will perch on rocks, cleaning magnets etc. But with corals like gorgonians they are not right in the open. When I added the Flame Pair the larger Flame was very cautious about eating in the open. The smaller would sit by my orange spot blenny and eat like a pig. The larger Flame liked to perch in one of the gorgonian and grab Reef Frenzy I gently blew towards it with a turkey baster. After a couple weeks, the large Flame Hawk became comfortable eating in the open with the rest of my fish.
If you only want one pair then watch videos of each to help you decide. Good luck and post pics once you decide.:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love them both. This makes the whole process harder. I am hoping to rehab my 125 gal this summer and I haven't decided peaceful (seahorse pipefish) or mostly peaceful (anthias, hawkfish) type set up. I really like pipefish but the hawks make me want to do that and get both. If I put the seahorses in the 125 then the hawks would only get a 70 gallon and I don't think I could do both sets of longnose and flame in a 70. But the 125 (6 foot long) so lots of space to stretch out....

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article could help you decide. Discusses special needs & maintenance of seahorse tank:
Keeping Seahorses in Aquaria #1 - Introduction and Setting Up Your Seahorse Tank
This article is the first in a 6-part series that is designed to help those of you who already have the knowledge and ability to keep marine life...
By vlangel, Apr 18, 2017 | 2.9K Views | Saltwater Fish

OP
OP
SaltBabies

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article could help you decide. Discusses special needs & maintenance of seahorse tank:
Keeping Seahorses in Aquaria #1 - Introduction and Setting Up Your Seahorse Tank
This article is the first in a 6-part series that is designed to help those of you who already have the knowledge and ability to keep marine life...
By vlangel, Apr 18, 2017 | 2.9K Views | Saltwater Fish

Thanks for the link. I currently have the 70 setup as a seahorse-pipefish tank. And I love them. That's why I was thinking about giving them the 125 then the 70 would be my hawk fish/other fish. Just torn with which should be which

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my Flame hawk fish for 8 years and never had an issue with him with crabs/shrimp/snails or other fish. He has been with all sorts of small shrimp (sexy, juvenile cleaner/fire shrimp) and never bothered them at all. Granted all fish have their own individual personality, so it is kind of the luck of the draw. Good luck with your decision!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back