Flame hawkfish question

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be getting a flame hawkfish from a tank break down and wonder if it would be mostly ok with my tank mates.

I got a porcelain crab, small yellow watchman goby, helfrichi firefish and plenty of snails that made me worry.

any inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will take a hermit from time to time and I've seen him try to get at acropora crabs I have too. Luckily the crabs are in a big enough birdsnest he can't reach them. Ive been told its hit or miss with them going after crabs but I would be concerned about the porcelain crab becoming an expensive meal. My snails never get touched.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know. I have a blackcap basslet and everything I read said he would be ok in my tank. The. I saw my blood shrimp with no legs dead:(

I know it was the blackcap cause the bl shrimp was fine for months. Only after I put in the blackcap did he die.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will be getting a flame hawkfish from a tank break down and wonder if it would be mostly ok with my tank mates.

I got a porcelain crab, small yellow watchman goby, helfrichi firefish and plenty of snails that made me worry.

any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
+1 vote inverts will be nervous... Darwin in action

Hawkfish have so much personality that I'd want fish over any inverts

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know. I have a blackcap basslet and everything I read said he would be ok in my tank. The. I saw my blood shrimp with no legs dead:(

I know it was the blackcap cause the bl shrimp was fine for months. Only after I put in the blackcap did he die.
Sorry for your loss

many wrongly prefer to treat situations like yours as 'one offs' ... but everything will be fine until it isn't... we should expect when the opportunity presents itself, fish will eat nearly anything

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear hawkfish like to eat inverts.
shrimp are at risk but to say "inverts" is a bit general. 7 years of hawkfish and i've never seen mine eat anything but fish food.
Halichoeres wrasses are definitely test the cuc lol

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the inputs. I will just play safe and let my friend have it. If it wasn’t for the helfrichi firefish, I’d prob just remove the crab and hope for the best for the little goby but.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine all my shrimp ( 2 monster coral banded, i fire and i cleaner) all overnite. Not a kind fish

Lokipsl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the inputs. I will just play safe and let my friend have it. If it wasn’t for the helfrichi firefish, I’d prob just remove the crab and hope for the best for the little goby but.
Better safe than sorry. The flame hawk is one of the few fish I would love to have but there is always something in my tank that could possibly be a casualty

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I move my porcelain crab to a different tank. Leaving an 2” goby and the firefish being the most vulnerable, should I give it a shot since I really like the flame hawk? Just afraid that the hawkfish go hunting while the firefish and goby is hiding sleeping

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I move my porcelain crab to a different tank. Leaving an 2” goby and the firefish being the most vulnerable, should I give it a shot since I really like the flame hawk? Just afraid that the hawkfish go hunting while the firefish and goby is hiding sleeping
I think your fish would be fine.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to beat a dead horse. I had to drain my entire system to catch my flame hawkfish. I finally figured out he killed all six of my orange lined cardinal fish. More than likely killed my starry blenny and was in the process of slowly tearing apart my female clownfish. NEVER AGAIN.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back