Flame scallops and air exposure

brittlestar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2026
Messages
105
Reaction score
94
Location
Virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a dedicated NPS tank and I would love to include an electric flame scallop. Can they tolerate exposure to air/bubbles or is it dangerous? I've heard mixed info about Tridacna clams so I thought I should check.
 
You're gonna have to define 'exposure' a bit more for us. Are you talking about running an air stone in the display? Or just during the unbagging and transfer process?
 
I'm setting up a dedicated NPS tank and I would love to include an electric flame scallop. Can they tolerate exposure to air/bubbles or is it dangerous? I've heard mixed info about Tridacna clams so I thought I should check.
I use flame scallops as my canary in a coal mine. A recent addition actually moved next to air bubbler. I have been quite successful with red tipped & white tipped flame scallops from the Caribbean. However, electric flame scallops have not survived in my 25 year mature system.
 
Why do you think that might be? Do they have different needs in terms of feeding or water parameters?
 
Why do you think that might be? Do they have different needs in terms of feeding or water parameters?
I don’t know why. I only know that I have not been successful. The owner of LFS no longer orders them because of poor survival.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new