Flasher Wrasse ID

Xefan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 19, 2023
Messages
33
Reaction score
24
Location
United Kingdom
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this flasher wrasse? It has some of the traits of Carpenters but the colours are quite different and I can't match it up in my ID books.

P1166125.jpg
 
Can anyone ID this flasher wrasse? It has some of the traits of Carpenters but the colours are quite different and I can't match it up in my ID books.

P1166125.jpg
It looks like it could be P’cheilinus paineorum or maybe P’cheilinus xanthocirritus.
But at the same time it could very easily be a hybrid between 2 or more species.

My guess however would be leaning towards Paineorum;
IMG_0526.jpeg

And a site with photos of the various different flasher species :)
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/90687-Paracheilinus/browse_photos
 
It looks like it could be P’cheilinus paineorum or maybe P’cheilinus xanthocirritus.
But at the same time it could very easily be a hybrid between 2 or more species.

My guess however would be leaning towards Paineorum;
IMG_0526.jpeg

And a site with photos of the various different flasher species :)
https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/90687-Paracheilinus/browse_photos

Thanks, yeah, I mean a hybrid is a possibility, my photo was taken in the wild in North Sulawesi, there were a lot of filamentous flashers and some obvious carpenters around, but this particular one stood out as incredibly distinct in terms of colouration, so I wasn't sure if it was natural variation, a hybrid, or something else altogether. I agree based on that it looks like it's probably paineorum! Only difference I still see to paineorum is the red stripes at the front, rather than the blue/turquoise ones, and a more blue tail rather than red.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new