Flasher wrasses in a 55 gallon?

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs had two eight line flashers when I was there yesterday, and I really want to jump on one for my newly upgraded 55. To get the best colors out of him, would I be able to add another (or multiple other) flasher wrasses? My rockscape has plenty of hiding spaces, as well as a nice amount of top water swimming space.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i would add some smaller flashers first
before the 8 line…
these guys are one of the biggest flashers
and tend to have assertive personalities.

OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would add some smaller flashers first
before the 8 line…
these guys are one of the biggest flashers
and tend to have assertive personalities.
thanks for the input! What smaller species would you recommend?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the eight line because as ChiCity said, it is a very big flasher for that size tank. I'd stick with two or three other flashers.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
thanks for the input! What smaller species would you recommend?
there are quite a few…

for smaller ones:
mccosker’s
yellow fin
carpenters
(all three of these are somewhat similar)

diamond tail flasher
(breathtakingly gorgeous)

mid to large size flashers:
bell’s
royal
eight line
dot dash/filamented

exotic/rare
quite a list…
(many unobtainable)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs had two eight line flashers when I was there yesterday, and I really want to jump on one for my newly upgraded 55. To get the best colors out of him, would I be able to add another (or multiple other) flasher wrasses? My rockscape has plenty of hiding spaces, as well as a nice amount of top water swimming space.
What are the dimensions of the tank?
I’m from the UK so I’m not great with gallons. However from what I remember a 55G tank is 3’x2’x15”? If so I’d avoid all Flashers, these guys want tall tanks and also a nice length to run down and truly spread their fins. They also seem to dart into rocks more often in smaller tanks.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m from the UK so I’m not great with gallons. However from what I remember a 55G tank is 3’x2’x15”? If so I’d avoid all Flashers, these guys want tall tanks and also a nice length to run down and truly spread their fins. They also seem to dart into rocks more often in smaller tanks.
I was going to ask. Think they are 4-5 foot long but front to back is like 18”. That said 55 can have an odd demention

OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a standard 55, which is 48 L x 13 W by 20 T. So it has nice height and length at the cost of some width.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll spoil the fun. Eight lines are little bigger and can be aggressive. I wouldn’t put any flasher in a 55.
That said diamond tail, Hemi and I’ll put eight line as a no. Yellow fin, mccosker, carpenters and alike if you really want to.
Do not add more than one of each. Females will become males. The color will be there if he is comfortable. My flasher runs a tank of wrasse and tangs. He circles and flashes every fish. Flasher for me will color up and flash eating.

OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll spoil the fun. Eight lines are little bigger and can be aggressive. I wouldn’t put any flasher in a 55.
That said diamond tail, Hemi and I’ll put eight line as a no. Yellow fin, mccosker, carpenters and alike if you really want to.
Do not add more than one of each. Females will become males. The color will be there if he is comfortable. My flasher runs a tank of wrasse and tangs. He circles and flashes every fish. Flasher for me will color up and flash eating.
Thank you for the honest response! I just saw the eight lines at the LFS, and having seen amazing pics of them online and hearing that they're relatively uncommon I figured I'd see if I could fit one since liveaquaria says their minimum tank size is 55 gallons. I do like the look of the yellow fin, mccosker and carpenter's though so if one of those show up I may snag it.

OP
OP
Cheese Griller

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are quite a few…

for smaller ones:
mccosker’s
yellow fin
carpenters
(all three of these are somewhat similar)

diamond tail flasher
(breathtakingly gorgeous)

mid to large size flashers:
bell’s
royal
eight line
dot dash/filamented

exotic/rare
quite a list…
(many unobtainable)
Thank you for the list! Might have to pick up one of the smaller ones if they show up at my lfs

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a standard 55, which is 48 L x 13 W by 20 T. So it has nice height and length at the cost of some width.
I’d honestly avoid any flasher, the width isn’t great. You may get away with smaller Cirrhilabrus, the smaller Halichoeres and some Macropharyngodon.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept McCoskers and Blue flashers in standard 55g tanks for years without issue. They are a bit narrow in width, but the length and height are fine for smaller flashers. Just stick with the smaller flashers like others mentioned: McCoskers, Carpenters, Yellow fins, and Blues. Be sure you have well-fitted mesh or screen lids as they are serious jumpers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back