Flashing in copper

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female clown, along with everyone else, has been in 1.71 to 1.88 copper power since 14 April. She occasionally flashes at the gill area on the pvc pipes. I did a freshwater dip but she still does it. I'm wondering if it could be that the theronts which are dying from copper exposure are reaching her gill tissue and irritating her? Should I go ahead and move everyone to the sterile tank for observation? I don't mean to ask a ton of questions here but this process is going really well and I don't want to screw up. You can see it in the 1:40 to 1:50 mark in the video link. The water is not as cloudy as it looks, I have the flash on because that room doesn't have good lighting.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked for flukes?

Edit. Sorry, didn’t read closely enough... I just saw that you did do a freshwater dip. Nothing came off the fish?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you treating for Ich specifically? How long have you had the fish?

With it being a clown... my next inclination after flukes would be Brook, but if it was with all these other fish previously it’s unlikely to wait this long to make an appearance. Unless one or more of the fish is “new”.

I can’t really see the flashing on the video, but I’m outside and squinting in the sun as I type this so I might need to re-watch when I get back inside lol

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am specifically treating for ich.
Clowns went in around 16 Feb. Crypto infested tang around 25 Feb. Others before Christmas. Pulled everyone from DT and placed into QT for copper treatment reaching full strength 14 April.
Casualties were my foxface and a firefish pair, all with heavy reparation and lethargy with the firefish passing prior to move to QT.
Survivors in QT: Powder Brown Tang, Ocellaris pair, firefish pair, hi-fin red banded goby, lawnmower blenny, royal gramma and solorensis wrasse.

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the video around the 1:50 mark for what I'm guessing is the cause for concern. Might be "normal" clown behavior perhaps she is trying to host the pvc?

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flukes don't always obviously come off in FW dip. It's helpful if you see them, but if you don't, it doesn't rule them out. Have you treated with Prazi or General cure? If not, I'd suggest general cure x 2 doses, 5-7 days apart, and metronidazole in between to cover potential brook.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone just got a 5 minute FW dip again between the copper tank and new sterile tank. Once back in the 40b after cleaning I’ll run the gambit of medications to be sure. I’m not seeing anything in this dip either yet, I’ll inspect closer after I get the tank cleaned. Tang and wrasse are rapid breathing and the gramma is deep breathing. Everyone else is normal. For now they have to spend three days in a small setup.

@Pdash I feel like you are spot on with the male. The female concerns me though. She did more off camera. Haha

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone just got a 5 minute FW dip again between the copper tank and new sterile tank. Once back in the 40b after cleaning I’ll run the gambit again to be sure. I’m not seeing anything in this dip either yet, I’ll inspect closer after I get the tank cleaned. The tang, wrasse and gramma are not happy at the moment. For now they have to spend three days in a small setup. I think it’s stressful enough without meds.
Alright. Lastly, this may be nothing at all to worry about. However, if you haven't treated for flukes and brook yet, I would recommend it.

OP
OP
Schnizzle

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright. Lastly, this may be nothing at all to worry about. However, if you haven't treated for flukes and brook yet, I would recommend it.

Thanks. I will be treating regardless. It’s not like those treatments are worse than copper. I’m in this mess because of skirting around proper methods. Won’t make that mistake again.

Not sure how I double posted?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 99 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 106 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.7%
Back