Flashing Orange: An Attempt at an ULM Clown Harem Tank

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It’s looking really good so far!
Day 3 update:
EVERYONE IS DOING WELL TOGETHER!
I have a few large anenomes coming in next week! I really love the shimmer from the kessils and the way the light bounces off the water. The clowns did show some signs of ich (small white on skin), but after uping the up to 24 hrs a day yesterday afternoon, the symptoms are gone. I will be observing closely for the next few weeks.
There is one clown who seems to be the dominant one, A misbar and also the darkest one. Average size compared to the rest, but is always out in front on the group when they are feeding of swimming against the flow. I hope this bodes well with the other misbars and that they are accepted into the group.
they also seem to be totally ok with the Longhorn cowfish (If a bit annoying to him) and they seem to like to swim around and with him. They seem to like the front of the tank with more flow compared to the back of the tank.
That’s all for now!
MSB123
following

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it an established tank? Or new tank? If it is new tank how long after cycle did you add the clown? Setting up one myself too :) thanks

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very established. 2+ years old, most of the rock is 6+ years old. Make sure of it. I feel that it is a crucial part because the tank can handle the bioload.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Back to daily updates!
After about 1.5 months, things are looking good! Feeding a steady 2 oz of 1 mm pellets a week, 5 feedings a day, 2 rotations of the apex auto feeder each time.
Current stocking:
Longhorn Cowfish
Coris Wrasse
34x Mocha Clownfish
Haloween Urchin
3x Cleaner Shrimp

Getting a new sump up and running this week (hopefully)
70 gallon capacity, one chamber is 36"x20"x16" (operating) -
this will be the fuge
And the other chamber is
20"x10"x24"- This will be the chamber for the skimmer, pumps, and chiller, and heaters

Here is a video from just now! Just after feeding time #3

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... Back to daily updates!
After about 1.5 months, things are looking good! Feeding a steady 2 oz of 1 mm pellets a week, 5 feedings a day, 2 rotations of the apex auto feeder each time.
Current stocking:
Longhorn Cowfish
Coris Wrasse
34x Mocha Clownfish
Haloween Urchin
3x Cleaner Shrimp

Getting a new sump up and running this week (hopefully)
70 gallon capacity, one chamber is 36"x20"x16" (operating) -
this will be the fuge
And the other chamber is
20"x10"x24"- This will be the chamber for the skimmer, pumps, and chiller, and heaters

Here is a video from just now! Just after feeding time #3

Love it!!!! Makes me feel good about my new build :) keep it up!

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost Thanksgiving update!
Just replaced carbon! Water is already looking cleaner.
I ordered 5x marine pure 8"x 8" x 4" blocks for the new fuge. I also am hoping to get some new apex gear for Christmas.
I found another dead clown (the most orange and smallest) in the filter sock today, :(
Other then that, everything else is doing well. I had 3 news split in the last week, so looking good on that front. I am hoping that the clowns will start to host all of them soon. I think I will pick up some larger ones to entice them. Have a great thanksgiving and ask me any questions you want. I love to help others and this kind of tank isn't easy!
Thanks for following along so far!
Here are some pictures of boxes- check out my thread!
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/interesting-question-boxes.508106/#post-5381454
(Almost month 2 of the Flashing orange tank!)
PPS- I might need to start calling this thread "Flashing orange and black", as most of the clowns are starting to turn much darker and some are almost completely black!

fafafooey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! Looking forward to seeing what you think about the A360X's you have headed your way.

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunday update!
Cleaned out all my filter socks that have been stacking up in my dirty bin- uggh.
Did a complete take makeover! Cleaned all the algae that has been growing out, cleaned my MP40s (did the mp10s last weekend), and cleaned all the sand.

Clowns are doing really well, and no major fights! A lot of darkening color over the past few weeks. Another anemone split today, and I fragged some frogspawn and a piece of a green hammer.
I will be posting a time lapse of the next hour or so of the tank, so look for that in a bit.
image.jpg
What the take looked like before: 3E6C8B36-7993-40C5-8333-B1D738FAB46C.jpeg B8A47781-AC91-4083-82C4-A6098647E82F.jpeg 5A26162F-036D-4724-B66F-05678B5E131C.jpeg

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also added in 2x 4”x8”x8” marine pure blocks (I’ve heard bad and good things, I think this system, with its high bioload, will be a good system to test its effectiveness)
I will begin testing nitrites and nitrates twice a week and posting the results here. I will also post a chart/graph that my apex will make based off of data entry.

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also added in 2x 4”x8”x8” marine pure blocks (I’ve heard bad and good things, I think this system, with its high bioload, will be a good system to test its effectiveness)
I will begin testing nitrites and nitrates twice a week and posting the results here. I will also post a chart/graph that my apex will make based off of data entry.
I have one in my Harem, really helpful, nitrate and phosphate super low, eveny tank is only about 3months old

OP
OP
MSB123

MSB123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my kessils today! I am leaving for the weekend but I hope to set them up next week!
I also have changed my order of RFAs from 15 to 35. They will arrive tomorrow by 10:30 am. I will post some pics of them in the box, and then once I get them in the tank.
Anyone have any expierence acclimating RFAs? Just float for temp and then pour in? Or risk drip acclimating?

Danh Ngo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received my kessils today! I am leaving for the weekend but I hope to set them up next week!
I also have changed my order of RFAs from 15 to 35. They will arrive tomorrow by 10:30 am. I will post some pics of them in the box, and then once I get them in the tank.
Anyone have any expierence acclimating RFAs? Just float for temp and then pour in? Or risk drip acclimating?
RFAs are very hardy. Normal I just did temp acclimate. They like shades also. My RFA survived 3 tank crashes

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 92 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back