Flashing tilefish… what would you want to know?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking of writing something up about this species having had several in the past few years and now also having a marcosi (a good alternative). But figured it would be helpful to you if you guys suggested things you’d like to know :)
Here’s a photo of my first chlupatyi and my current marcosi.
IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_7101.jpeg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually know zero about tilefish.....never even gave them a second thought as a possible fish to add. Anything you write up about them will be a learning experience for me lol.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear about their preferred living conditions (caves, overhangs, open swim areas, sand), food preferences, personality (get along with other fish, shy, active), possibility of multiples in a tank, if picking on clams is in their nature.

I have looked at them multiple times, but something always stops me from getting them. I have not heard a lot from keepers, only the info from books, sites, etc.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been thinking of writing something up about this species having had several in the past few years and now also having a marcosi (a good alternative). But figured it would be helpful to you if you guys suggested things you’d like to know :)
Here’s a photo of my first chlupatyi and my current marcosi.
IMG_6594.jpeg

IMG_7101.jpeg
I would love to hear about them, especially the flashing! Theres a blue head tile fish Ive been eyeing for a while at my LFS but cant find too much info on them. My lfs guys know little to nothing about them

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear about their preferred living conditions (caves, overhangs, open swim areas, sand), food preferences, personality (get along with other fish, shy, active), possibility of multiples in a tank, if picking on clams is in their nature.

I have looked at them multiple times, but something always stops me from getting them. I have not heard a lot from keepers, only the info from books, sites, etc.
Yea same

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to hear about them, especially the flashing! Theres a blue head tile fish Ive been eyeing for a while at my LFS but cant find too much info on them. My lfs guys know little to nothing about them
The blue heads are the easiest species IME. They generally come in and don’t have any issues. Honestly if you want to get into tilefish then your best starting species is the blue head. Just have a lid that fits on the tank and can’t easily be lifted.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The blue heads are the easiest species IME. They generally come in and don’t have any issues. Honestly if you want to get into tilefish then your best starting species is the blue head. Just have a lid that fits on the tank and can’t easily be lifted.
Cool! Ill probably pick him up at some point then. He was laying on the bottom when I saw him though so that made me hesitate because before he would pop in and out of a rock type thing they had

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Following up on this thread @i cant think because I have the same question as above. They are truly unique fish and I’m wondering if they can be in a larger community tank with tangs and more boisterous fish, and specifically if in a community tank will they be better as a pair or school.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following up on this thread @i cant think because I have the same question as above. They are truly unique fish and I’m wondering if they can be in a larger community tank with tangs and more boisterous fish, and specifically if in a community tank will they be better as a pair or school.
Not long term with any species of tilefish unless you have a massive reef like Andrew Sandler. I tried that in my 560G with three purple and three skunks and those only made it through a year or two.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, long term this would likely fail. These are fish that stress out easily and don’t like to be aggressed upon. I’d say a semi-aggressive (but leaning to the peaceful side) tank would be the most they’d be able to handle. I currently have my marcosi in a tank with 7 Wrasses, One Tang, a Foxface, A CBB, one Clownfish, a Yellow Watchman Goby, a Regal Angel, Majestic Angel and Coral Beauty. My tank has interspecies aggression however overall, it’s peaceful and the different (unrelated) species don’t go for eachother.
This isn’t to say I’ve got a 100% peaceful, no aggression tank. It does have spurts of aggression however they are spurts that never last long, and I have a tank with enough fish to keep a tilefish happy and not scared of everything (which often makes them jump).

In terms of are they better as a group or pair (Tilefish rarely ever school), it’s hard to say. Some species are found singularly and others are found in small groups of 3-4. It seems the best as pairs/groups are;
- Hoplolatilus chlupatyi (groups of 3 are best)
- Hoplolatilus purpureus (pairs are best)
- Hoplolatilus formanoiri (pairs are best)

There are other species that could make this list but I have yet to experiment with pairing them - Such as the Marcosi (which may change soon).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think Hewbie would eat one? They are so cool but probably a snack to him lol! Now the reef tank is an option. But knowing my luck they’d jump when I turn my head during a water change.
Honestly, you’d be surprised at how they don’t really jump during a water change but instead more so when feeding.
also some species of tilefish will jump less frequently than others do, whilst my Chlupatyi’s all jumped during feeding my marcosi can be at the top of the tank and still refuse to jump (which shows me how he’s comfortable in my system) :)

Would they become a snack, possibly but it’s hard to say for sure as they are quite fast when they want to be (although I wouldn’t personally risk it).

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Ill probably pick him up at some point then. He was laying on the bottom when I saw him though so that made me hesitate because before he would pop in and out of a rock type thing they had
So, any updates?

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can different species of tilefish live together? I've got a purple and I've thought of adding a flashing tilefish.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can different species of tilefish live together? I've got a purple and I've thought of adding a flashing tilefish.
They can but the issue comes with some species being more boisterous. Also the Flashing Tilefish is one of the most peaceful and stress prone fish I’ve ever looked after (And I’ve looked after species like Achilles tangs). The Purpureus may be too boisterous for the Flashing tile which will likely stress it out and cause it to jump and just not settle. If you had the Flashing first then the chances are higher of you being more successful.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can but the issue comes with some species being more boisterous. Also the Flashing Tilefish is one of the most peaceful and stress prone fish I’ve ever looked after (And I’ve looked after species like Achilles tangs). The Purpureus may be too boisterous for the Flashing tile which will likely stress it out and cause it to jump and just not settle. If you had the Flashing first then the chances are higher of you being more successful.
Thanks! I value a peaceful tank so no flashing for me.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I value a peaceful tank so no flashing for me.
You could always try to add either another purple or a more boisterous species of Tilefish (Starcki, Yellow, Marcosi etc).

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, any updates?
Didnt end up getting him, he died that week in the store when I went back that weekend for him. Havant seen them get another tile fish in yet :( but I keep checking to see if they get another!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back