Flatworm exit

Nickolas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reviewed other discussions on using Flatworm Exit and for the most part gathered a good plan, I would just like some help/advice if it sounds good or how to improve

1.Siphon out whatever worms I can see before treatment,
2. Use recommended dose, and if it doesn't work, dose again after 45 mins, use a turkey baster to try and dislodge any worms off rockwork
3. Net out the hopefully dying flatworms

My issue starts here, I read that it is necessary to have a canister ready with activated carbon 1lb for every 50 gallons. i read it should be high quality, what does that mean?
The tank in question is a 6.7 gallon quarantine tank for corals, is a canister necessary or could I purchase an aqua clear hob and use that?
In about a week I will repeat to kill any hatchlings
I tried to find the lifecycle on these worms but cant find anything. I believe I have the white acoel flatworms but I just looked again and they look darker brown.

I have another 80 gallon tank with a 15gal sump where I haven't noticed any flatworms but feel I should treat to be safe? would this be a good idea? I try my best to not cross contaminate supplies
For this tank I planned on buying a fluval 207 canister, would this be strong enough?

I will have about 32 gallons of mixed saltwater ready for a water change on both tanks since I read 25% should be on hand

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flatworm exit I believe is designed only for the redish brown rusty coloured flatworms .

I have a 230 gal with flatworms .. I’m a little hesitant on using it as when they die they release toxins . And a large water change alone with running high quality carbon is recommended .

the largest water change I can do it 23 gal

but .... if you can siphon out most of them prior to treatment it should be ok .....

I going to try natural a little longer and hope all the wrasse’s mandarin and damsels start eating them before trying the chemical route

OP
OP
Nickolas

Nickolas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flatworm exit I believe is designed only for the redish brown rusty coloured flatworms .

I have a 230 gal with flatworms .. I’m a little hesitant on using it as when they die they release toxins . And a large water change alone with running high quality carbon is recommended .

the largest water change I can do it 23 gal

but .... if you can siphon out most of them prior to treatment it should be ok .....

I going to try natural a little longer and hope all the wrasse’s mandarin and damsels start eating them before trying the chemical route
Yeah I have been reading some information about wrasses as well, I dont really want to go the chemical route but I cant justify adding a fish in the qt tank as I leave that for only corals and inverts so I dont need to treat with copper or other chems in case fish is sick.

I was thinking of doing exit for the display tank, water change and then adding a wrasse after its been done to hopefully pick off whatever I dont get, if there is any flatworms in the display tank at least.

What would you describe as high quality carbon by the way? I was just going to pick up some Imagitarium petco activated carbon because they sell it as a pound and I get a discount

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have been reading some information about wrasses as well, I dont really want to go the chemical route but I cant justify adding a fish in the qt tank as I leave that for only corals and inverts so I dont need to treat with copper or other chems in case fish is sick.

I was thinking of doing exit for the display tank, water change and then adding a wrasse after its been done to hopefully pick off whatever I dont get, if there is any flatworms in the display tank at least.

What would you describe as high quality carbon by the way? I was just going to pick up some Imagitarium petco activated carbon because they sell it as a pound and I get a discount
I’ve never seen any advertised as good quality .
the one I buy is reef spec carbon
image.jpg

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm also getting ready to go to war with these things in my display and would be interested in your experiences.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Flatworm exit will not kill the eggs, so you will need to keep dosing every 5 or 7 days. I saw a few the 2nd time and none the third or 4th. It worked for me.

I had the brown ones and a bunch of clear ones I didn't even know about. I used it as soon as I saw the brown ones, there were more than I expected, but I wasn't overrun. It also wiped out my tiny snails that used to reproduce in my tank.

OP
OP
Nickolas

Nickolas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dud
The Flatworm exit will not kill the eggs, so you will need to keep dosing every 5 or 7 days. I saw a few the 2nd time and none the third or 4th. It worked for me.

I had the brown ones and a bunch of clear ones I didn't even know about. I used it as soon as I saw the brown ones, there were more than I expected, but I wasn't overrun. It also wiped out my tiny snails that used to reproduce in my tank.

Dudeee this happened to me, I only saw white ones initally and then all of a sudden the brown ones -____- now i barely see any whites, and i didnt add anything new for that to happen. Thank you, i did my second dose two days ago so ill dose again soon.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back