Flatworms on Palys???

DavidsAquariums

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed some dark spots on some green palys I have and looked closer to see they are flatworms!! What's weird is the palys they are all over are actually opened up great but I noticed my zoas lately have been closed alot more but haven't seen any flatworms on them at all... Are these guys bad "I'm assuming they are" Also how should I go about removing them?Six line worth getting?Thanks in advance everyone
20220430_200356.jpg

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be rust brown flatworms

I had them briefly and just sucked them out and the dottyback ate the rest I think. Never saw em again.

I don’t know if I’d be messin around siphoning the palys. I’m no scholar but those things freak me out. Toxin city.

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be rust brown flatworms

I had them briefly and just sucked them out and the dottyback ate the rest I think. Never saw em again.

I don’t know if I’d be messin around siphoning the palys. I’m no scholar but those things freak me out. Toxin city.
If they are the true protopaly's or grandiose ones that carry the palytoxin I'd just make sure to have gloves on and run carbon, unless it's a small tank. Carbon would absorb most with enough volume. Most of the ones that carry the toxin are large and green or brown, you can see the striations in the body. They also do not grow in a mat, they grow on stalks. Yours do appear to be actual paly's in this case, not the Zoanthid Giantus (or however it's spelled) that a lot of times are sold as "Paly's."

Years ago I went down the palytoxin rabbit hole as I was reading a bunch of horror story's. Turns out it's not as deadly as you think, unless you really get yourself directly in an open wound. Even then, if you start tasting metal just get to the ER and treatment, it's not instant by any means. You have time to react. But it can absolutely be serious.

Other way would be bake the rock and inhale the toxin, for the love of god NEVER cook a rock with a zoa/paly. The likelihood of palytoxin in Zoa's is low, not as low with paly's, but the damage an airborne palytoxin wreaks appears to be devastating.

I'm all about natural methods, Wrasse, Dottyback, let them feast lol Safer for all :)

PS: Been years since I've dug into too far, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. According to my wife, I do tend to be wrong.....occasionally.

Edit: Just to belay I am by no means saying that paly's are no risk. I've not had any issues BECAUSE I've known this and taken the necessary steps.

Last edited:

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are the true protopaly's or grandiose ones that carry the palytoxin I'd just make sure to have gloves on and run carbon, unless it's a small tank. Carbon would absorb most with enough volume. Most of the ones that carry the toxin are large and green or brown, you can see the striations in the body. They also do not grow in a mat, they grow on stalks. Yours do appear to be actual paly's in this case, not the Zoanthid Giantus (or however it's spelled) that a lot of times are sold as "Paly's."

Years ago I went down the palytoxin rabbit hole as I was reading a bunch of horror story's. Turns out it's not as deadly as you think, unless you really get yourself directly in an open wound. Even then, if you start tasting metal just get to the ER and get the antivenom, it's not instant by any means. You have time to react.

Other way would be bake the rock and inhale the toxin, for the love of god NEVER cook a rock with a zoa/paly. The likelihood of palytoxin in Zoa's is low, not as low with paly's, but the damage an airborne palytoxin wreaks appears to be devastating.

I'm all about natural methods, Wrasse, Dottyback, let them feast lol Safer for all :)

PS: Been years since I've dug into too far, anyone feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken. According to my wife, I do tend to be wrong.....occasionally.

your nuts. Ask Joe Yaiullo from Brooklyn aquarium society. Ask Ben Johnson from reef beef. Joes tank is the 20,000 gallon in Brooklyn. He’s been giving talks on why he tore it down and how sick he was getting. Anybody that has been exposed knows it’s nothing to brush off.

knockout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uff definitely flatworms I hate those things, I had to tear my 200 gallon long ago because of them, if you se 100 there is a thousand, I would NOT recommend anyone using Flatworm Exit, natural methods often not enough

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your nuts. Ask Joe Yaiullo from Brooklyn aquarium society. Ask Ben Johnson from reef beef. Joes tank is the 20,000 gallon in Brooklyn. He’s been giving talks on why he tore it down and how sick he was getting. Anybody that has been exposed knows it’s nothing to brush off.
Brush off, no? But know the signs, know the symptoms and be safe. 15 years been keeping them without incident. If he was getting sick, he must've had a massive amount of them or direct contact.

Also, asked for input not insults, being a dick helps no one.

And if you could, please link the info you're referencing. I'm always willing to learn more, but random citations really don't help either. I don't know these people, how would I possibly ask them?

Last edited:
Back