Flatworms persisting after Flatworm eXit

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of flatworms that I treated with Flatworm eXit. I siphoned out as many as I could see including basting them out of crevices and then treated with flatworm eXit at 4 drops/5 gallons. I then did a 30% water change an hour later and ran carbon. I thought I got rid of them all but today I see some still left moving around (approx 10% of initial population). I now treated at 1.5x that initial dose and they're still on the rocks not dying. Any suggestions???

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have a strain that is somewhat resistant to the FWE.
People will increase the dosage like you without luck.
Your next option is to get a wrasse that love to eat them.
I had your problem in my fuge but the display tank with wrasse was worm free.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have a strain that is somewhat resistant to the FWE.
People will increase the dosage like you without luck.
Your next option is to get a wrasse that love to eat them.
I had your problem in my fuge but the display tank with wrasse was worm free.
Any idea what kind of wrasses are best for this task?

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the Haliochorus species will eat them, or should anyway.

I don't know what you heard bad about the Six-Line. They have always been good fish for me as have every other wrasse I've kept.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, after thinking about it, I did buy a wrasse at one time to eat flatworms. It was a Christmas wrasse. Good fish.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of the Haliochorus species will eat them, or should anyway.

I don't know what you heard bad about the Six-Line. They have always been good fish for me as have every other wrasse I've kept.
I'll look into the other ones and see. I've heard the six line can be aggressive and kill fish it's size and a little larger. Maybe since it would be the last fish it wouldn't be territorial....

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read horror stories on these things :oops:

I've heard horror stories about lots of things that have done well in my systems for years if not decades. A common mistake is the assumption commonality equates to causality. Couple things I've learned is whatever reputation a species is known for there will be individual variation, age and maturity and space all are variables that influence behavior and an aquarist must always be ready to rehome anyone if needed.

ZoaKiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an outbreak of flatworms that I treated with Flatworm eXit. I siphoned out as many as I could see including basting them out of crevices and then treated with flatworm eXit at 4 drops/5 gallons. I then did a 30% water change an hour later and ran carbon. I thought I got rid of them all but today I see some still left moving around (approx 10% of initial population). I now treated at 1.5x that initial dose and they're still on the rocks not dying. Any suggestions???
How's your battle going? I ended up trying FWE 3 times twice at over 4 times the recommended dosage and it did not work.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's your battle going? I ended up trying FWE 3 times twice at over 4 times the recommended dosage and it did not work.
I'm currently just sucking them up via turkey baster once a week and it's keeping them in check pretty well until my tank is out of the fallow period. I'm getting a six line wrasse that'll hopefully eat them once the fallow period is over in a few weeks

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flat worm exit doesn't kill the eggs. You have to dose every 4 days or 5 days. Each time you will see less flat worms. Provably 4 or 5 doses to wipe them out.

OP
OP
dbleoh7

dbleoh7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flat worm exit doesn't kill the eggs. You have to dose every 4 days or 5 days. Each time you will see less flat worms. Provably 4 or 5 doses to wipe them out.
I didn't know that... I don't think it says anything about that on the directions but it makes sense... I might have to give it another go and use this method

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back