Flesh erosion disease?

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I've had these juvenile tiger tail seahorses and they have been doing well and still continue to act normal. Very social, eating extremely well, etc... but I just noticed a few days ago peeling skin with the white showing beneath. I contacted liveaquaria where I purchased them and they said its possible it could be Flesh erosion disease and I need to treat with broad spectrum antibiotics and they sent me to seahorse.com for further information on treating it. Can I get some second opinions and what you all believe I need to do. Thanks!

seahorse injury.jpg

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API FURAN-2 Fish Powder Medication 10-Count Box

I got this off of amazon along with a new QT tank. Hopefully I can get it under control for this guy. Spent way more than he cost, but want him to have the best chance of making it. Will get all the stuff Monday. Hope its not too late!

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely is flesh erosion, likely a bacterial infection.

Standard protocol for treatment is in a hospital tank with open airline bubbling vigorously, drop temp to 70° (to hopefully slow the progression) and begin a 10 day treatment with broad spectrum antibiotic. Furan 2 and triple sulfa are a good combo (follow box instructions). You can also treat topically with Allimax liquid (people med) or even triple antibiotic ointment. 50% water change every day replacing the 50% med dose each time.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Standard protocol for treatment is in a hospital tank with open airline bubbling vigorously, drop temp to 70° (to hopefully slow the progression) and begin a 10 day treatment with broad spectrum antibiotic. Furan 2 and triple sulfa are a good combo (follow box instructions). You can also treat topically with Allimax liquid (people med) or even triple antibiotic ointment. 50% water change every day replacing the 50% med dose each time.

Thank you for the reply. I will have it set up and being treated by Friday. I hope this is adequate. If not I can go to my lfs and get stuff immediately.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How do I apply Neosporin topically? Do I just pull him out of the tank with my hand or net and rub on the area?

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would begin treatment as soon as you can. These types of infections can go very quickly.

For topical applications I take them out by hand, gently blot excess moisture with a q-tip and apply to effected area and return to the tank. A couple times a day should suffice. It's the other antibiotics though that really get treatment going.

Still need to try to determine what started it too. What's their environment like? Tankmates, corals, temp, parameters, etc?

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would begin treatment as soon as you can. These types of infections can go very quickly.

For topical applications I take them out by hand, gently blot excess moisture with a q-tip and apply to effected area and return to the tank. A couple times a day should suffice. It's the other antibiotics though that really get treatment going.

Still need to try to determine what started it too. What's their environment like? Tankmates, corals, temp, parameters, etc?

Thank you. I will start Neosporin asap and head to the store in the AM. Tankmates are the 2 tiger tails and just a watchman goby and pistol shrimp. Also have a few hermits and a cleaner shrimp. Nothing seems to bother them at all. The temperature is at 75*. The tank is 1 1/2 years old at least. Parameters are all 0 except a little nitrite and slight phosphate. Not a lot tho. I do a water change weekly. I feed very heavy for the guys. 2-3 times a day of PE mysis and they love it. That's probably where the tiny spike comes from.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to remove them from the tank? They are always holding onto something.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, can the treated(Neosporin) seahorse go back into the community tank until I get the hospital tank tomorrow?

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses can be very sensitive to water parameters in general and h. comes (tigertails) especially so from what I've seen.

Your temp is a little high, I keep seahorse tanks at 72-74° max. Higher temps mean more opportunity for bad bacteria to get a hold. You're nitrite shouldn't be detectable though. While less toxic than ammonia it is still a danger to sensitive species.

Do you syphon out uneaten food after feedings? PE mysis, while it is a very good food, tends to be a bit "greasy". Rinsing well in RO water after thawing will help.

Do you run a skimmer? Have corals? Heater without a heater guard?

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to remove them from the tank? They are always holding onto something.

I just gently coax them off their hitch with my fingers. They'll usually let go with little effort and hold your fingers instead. Gently "unwind" them if you will lol.

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, can the treated(Neosporin) seahorse go back into the community tank until I get the hospital tank tomorrow?

Yes, the relatively small amount of antibiotic shouldn't hurt the tank. Just a very light coating on just the wound itself.

Treatment is always best in a HT but I've treated with betadine and triple antibiotic ointment temporarily in the display in a pinch. Better than waiting IMHO.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses can be very sensitive to water parameters in general and h. comes (tigertails) especially so from what I've seen.

Your temp is a little high, I keep seahorse tanks at 72-74° max. Higher temps mean more opportunity for bad bacteria to get a hold. You're nitrite shouldn't be detectable though. While less toxic than ammonia it is still a danger to sensitive species.

Do you syphon out uneaten food after feedings? PE mysis, while it is a very good food, tends to be a bit "greasy". Rinsing well in RO water after thawing will help.

Do you run a skimmer? Have corals? Heater without a heater guard?

Yeah, that is what I have ready as well. I don't syphon out any food as almost all food I put in is eaten. I do rinse prior to feeding in RO water. I use a pipette to feed each individually. Also if anything gets loose, the cleanup crew quickly gets it as well as the goby. I do not have a skimmer but I run a refugium. Its an AIO aquarium so everything is in the back so no fear of burning. One got sucked down the overflow on day one and I fixed that quickly! I do have softy coral (only mushrooms) and a sps coral that they love to grab onto. Its some kind of Acro.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the relatively small amount of antibiotic shouldn't hurt the tank. Just a very light coating on just the wound itself.

Treatment is always best in a HT but I've treated with betadine and triple antibiotic ointment temporarily in the display in a pinch. Better than waiting IMHO.

Well about to give it a shot to put some on them. Will monitor closely.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of those are seahorse safe, the acro though probably doesn't appreciate the occasional seahorse hugs lol.

Good luck! I'm rooting for your little one. Keep us updated if you can. :)

Lol I just was saying this the other day. The acro stays a little ticked off because of them. :D

I will keep yall updated. Thank you for the help!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back