Flies in white worm culture

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a culture of white worms (Enchytraeus albidus) three weeks ago. I’ve been feeding them two kibbles of cat food. After a few days, mold starts growing on the cat food and I replace the two kibbles with two new kibbles. Everything was going fine, and I see more and more worms living under the kibbles.

Today I found a few tiny white flies and many small white blobs that look like some kind of (fly?) larvae.

Is this culture done for? Anything I can do? Or is it possible these are actually baby worms (probably wishful thinking)?

Substrate is half organic potting soil and half peat, baked at 400 for 20 minutes before adding worms. I’m keeping them in a wooden box in the house at temp 62-69. I spray it each day with a spray bottle to keep it moist.

Attachments

• IMG_8965.MOV
    18 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I started a culture of white worms (Enchytraeus albidus) three weeks ago. I’ve been feeding them two kibbles of cat food. After a few days, mold starts growing on the cat food and I replace the two kibbles with two new kibbles. Everything was going fine, and I see more and more worms living under the kibbles.

Today I found a few tiny white flies and many small white blobs that look like some kind of (fly?) larvae.

Is this culture done for? Anything I can do? Or is it possible these are actually baby worms (probably wishful thinking)?

Substrate is half organic potting soil and half peat, baked at 400 for 20 minutes before adding worms. I’m keeping them in a wooden box in the house at temp 62-69. I spray it each day with a spray bottle to keep it moist.
They actually become flies

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same little white 'worms' in mine, and they become little flies (like gnats). They are taking over my culture...and I don't know if I can 'kill' them without hurting the worms? Restart the culture with 'clean' worms....or throw it out and start over....

or....are the little bugs fine to feed the fish as well?

IMG_0184.jpeg

OP
OP
itgoeson

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear thoughts on those questions!

Mine have gone away for some reason. I started burying the cat food pellets I’ve been feeding an inch or so under the surface - not sure if that was the solution, but the little flies and the little larvae have gone away completely.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hand pick your white worms and put them in a small cup of water. Hit them with a turkey baster a few times, then dump 95% of the water out. Keep repeating until you know longer see mites. This worked for me. As snoopdog said, always sterilize your soil. I heat my soil in the oven for 3-4 hours at 400 while covered in foil. The temperature of the soil is what determines how long it needs to bake. Misting heavily with distilled water helps speed up the time.

Last edited:

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that are raising white worms, what is the method of getting rid of any soil when you dump them in the tank. No matter how careful I am some some always seems to come with them.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those that are raising white worms, what is the method of getting rid of any soil when you dump them in the tank. No matter how careful I am some some always seems to come with thethem
I rinse them in freshwater. Plus,once they are suspended in water you can use a pipette to suck them up away from the dirt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
For those that are raising white worms, what is the method of getting rid of any soil when you dump them in the tank. No matter how careful I am some some always seems to come with them.
Run through a strainer or coarse fish net. The worms stay back

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back