Flipper blades scratching glass?

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what i've been reading, a good amount of people are using the magic eraser for regular algae and plastic scraper or old credit card for coraline. I'm going to see if i can return the flipper. Super disappointed but glad the few scratches aren't in obviously visible spots.

OP
OP
Martingale

Martingale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
From what i've been reading, a good amount of people are using the magic eraser for regular algae and plastic scraper or old credit card for coraline. I'm going to see if i can return the flipper. Super disappointed but glad the few scratches aren't in obviously visible spots.

This is what I've gone back to doing. I just don't enjoy going arms deep in the tank to scrub the glass. I'll buy a tunze at some point and see how the plastic blade does.

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just saw this thread... I have noticed loads of very fine internal glass scratches from my flipper. I'm super careful to check for sand if I use the pad side so I think it's the blade side. Very frustrating! Any way to get these small scratches out without draining the tank etc? I'm envisioning some sort of magnetic buffer on the inside spun by a powerdrill w a magnetic bit on the outside... anyone? Does buffing out scratches weaken the glass?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the other choices that can handle coraline really well but not scratch?
I used a MagFloat with the glued-on scraper for years, but always hated the sand issue and it's lack of tight space ability.
Last year I bought a Tunze Care Magnet Long for my 75g and use the included metal scraper blade.
No scratches yet over a year of use. I like the small end for tight spaces, and the fact I can 'shake it' in the tank to clear it if I drop it in the sand. No sand stays between the glass and contact points.
I don't leave it in the tank - I rinse it after every use.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it definately leaves scratches. You might not even notice them until algae grows within the scratch. I am not sure if they are happening with it is being flipped or when the blade size is being used but I would stop using immediately. I kept my glass scratch free for years until I started using it.....and I used multiple other magnets over the years. Back to the magic eraser!

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a flipper and have tried my best to be careful, but still have way too many scratches ..I clean the pad weekly, the blade works well but not sure if thats where the scratches are coming from. Never heard of a way to buff out the scratches while tank is full.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a flipper and have tried my best to be careful, but still have way too many scratches ..I clean the pad weekly, the blade works well but not sure if thats where the scratches are coming from. Never heard of a way to buff out the scratches while tank is full.
i only used the blade side and have no sand and still got scratches on the second use so just think its inevitable with the strength of the magnet and or detritus/algae. I have switched to manual cleaning with a wand, magic eraser, and plastic scraper ‍

Therinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my flipper and it hasn't scratched, but i did notice someone else having the experience and when i looked at their flipper, i don't think it was the blade, he had a sharp gouge in the little white circular nub on the blade side. I think that was doing it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are nuts. I haven't scratched my tank with my Flipper. I only use the blade side.

thisoldfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are nuts. I haven't scratched my tank with my Flipper. I only use the blade side.

Wow! Congrats to you!! Sigh...

Anyway.. Therinx.. good thought re. nylon nubs. Mine seem fine, I think it's the blade. I think strong magnets in general invite trouble. A tiny imperfection in a hard surface under strong magnetic force can easily scratch glass... I'm back to a wand and gettin' the arm wet for now!

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never worried about the Flipper, until it happened to me.... a huge scratch all the way across the front glass. I used the blade side only and carefully removed and reattached before cleaning the next side of the tank. I did not "flip" it.

Never again.... I think the magnet is just too strong.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the plastic blades on flipper? Any success with those?
I ended up buying a Hygger brand magnet scraper on amazon that comes with a stainless steel scrapper and a plastic one you can swap out. I have been using the plastic one and haven't noticed any new scratches and it works great. I only use the metal scrapper on tough small spots and use it very carefully. Its way cheaper and gets the job done. i avoid the metal scraper on the magnet. The flipper left me with scratches on my brand new tank regardless how careful i was.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flipper blade side scratched inside of my Waterbox. Very faint scratch though. I thought I was being extra careful too. Switched to Magic Eraser since then.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard good things about the Tunze Care and was going to give it a go sometime.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read on here that low iron glass scratches easier than regular plate glass. Not saying a scraper should scratch it. I scratched my low iron with my mag float blade attachment, and Took it off after that.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flipper came with a blade that had rounded corners. When I ordered replacement blades, they had square corners that were clearly very likely to scratch the glass and it seemed as though a few people had that happen. I never even used the replacement blades.

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read on here that low iron glass scratches easier than regular plate glass. Not saying a scraper should scratch it. I scratched my low iron with my mag float blade attachment, and Took it off after that.

I looked at my new low iron tank and scratched it. (Though I do believe it came with some scratches too)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back