Float Mounting for Water Change Station

Tango2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an automated RO/DI & water change station, but I'm looking to clean it up a little bit. I'm currently using 2-10 gallon rubbermaid trash cans for my water storage containers.

I've automated the water changes, but I would now like to automate my RO/DI. What is the best method of mounting float switches completely submerged in a container? I tried using a PVC fitting through the top of the container with a length of PVC to extend to the bottom with mixed success. Any other options? I'm currently using these float switches:

https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Piece...8&qid=1468806554&sr=8-2&keywords=float+switch

Just looking for ideas so I can clean this part of my tank up a little bit. I'd rather not drill a bunch of holes in containers for floats if I can avoid it.

OP
OP
T

Tango2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good option, but not sure it will work for my application. I have a couple of those (purchased from BRS I think), but they are only about 24" long extended. Great for a sump, but not so much to move the float to the bottom of a something even as small as a 10G Brute trash can.

I'm considering going the 55G barrel route, with a removable top. Something like this:
upload_2016-7-19_18-14-38.png

One of these for my RO water, and one for FSW. To automate this to the fullest extent, I need to figure out a way to have an "empty" and a "full" float switch in a container like this. I'd also like to keep the wires (copper) out of the water as much as possible.

lennyd19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use these and just drilled the containers. Just be sure you have them where you want. If you try to move them or loosen the gasket you usually have to replace the gasket with a new one. So order a couple more than you need. I have a low and a high switch set.
9fb51dae2559d4fda28c296548a3e32e.jpg
dbef2d782e1b68cb256a1f50bea237cc.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tango2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas so far. I have several of the original type floats I posted, and I ordered two of the ones that lennyd19 posted to try out. I'm going to get some barrels tomorrow, but haven't decided on 55G or 78G. The 78's are the same price but they are new and the others are used. Both have removable tops, and would probably work equally as good. I'm hoping to be able to pick up an extra top to experiment with. I'll post up the designs I try and the one I decide on.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back