Floating canopy question

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Floating canopy + lights weighing about 35lbs total. The PVC total weight was 18lbs and my light + bar setup is no more than 15lbs

3 hydras, HMS rail

I’m using 2 toggle bolts from the AI hanging kit into drywall. Who’s got experience or an idea that this alone would hold up?

I have other toggle bolts to swap out just incase but it’ll be a pain

4CBD0C04-A177-4966-827A-E62B127FCF67.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When using toggle bolts to hang your floating canopy with lights, it's essential to consider the weight distribution and the strength of the drywall. While toggle bolts can provide a secure hold, it's important to ensure that the total weight, including the canopy, lights, and PVC, does not exceed the weight capacity of the toggle bolts and the drywall.

In your case, with a total weight of approximately 35lbs, which includes 18lbs for the PVC and 15lbs for the lights and bar setup, using two toggle bolts from the AI hanging kit should be suitable for securing the canopy to the drywall. However, it's crucial to verify that the toggle bolts you are using are rated for the weight you are hanging and that they are securely installed into the drywall.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When using toggle bolts to hang your floating canopy with lights, it's essential to consider the weight distribution and the strength of the drywall. While toggle bolts can provide a secure hold, it's important to ensure that the total weight, including the canopy, lights, and PVC, does not exceed the weight capacity of the toggle bolts and the drywall.

In your case, with a total weight of approximately 35lbs, which includes 18lbs for the PVC and 15lbs for the lights and bar setup, using two toggle bolts from the AI hanging kit should be suitable for securing the canopy to the drywall. However, it's crucial to verify that the toggle bolts you are using are rated for the weight you are hanging and that they are securely installed into the drywall.

They are just the toggle bolt kit from AI ceiling kit , the drywall is very close to a joist

I might order a 3rd one just incase to add extra support

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up Wingit's - You can find them on Amazon. They are rated for up to 50lbs I think in drywall. And they have a wall mount bracket kit that is rated for 85lbs.

I used one for a ceiling mount and it turned out great.

Dave B

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back