Floating Micro Debris in AIO Display Tank

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I am at my wits end and need help with this. My water column in my main display tank has micro debris floating around from what I suspect was some rocks I had in the sump area that were broken up from vibrating agains the pump. At first, I thought I had an algae bloom, but it is not that. Then, I thought it may be micro bubbles form my skimmer but it is not that either (skimmer has been shut off for now).

As you can see from the picture, there are little particles all around. I have tried adding a filter sock (2 days ago)as well as adding filter pads to the rear chambers of the sump - nothing has worked so far.

Today I added a cheap internal filter with some filter floss hoping it can act as a water polisher. Results are TBD but I am curious if anyone has any other suggestions.

8622C608-0908-4FF0-A25A-5FEBA2F37400.jpeg 35557348-8A0D-4EC2-B3B7-AA01B8781EF5.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine the padded floss polishing method will yield results, keep us updated.

What is your water volume, and what is your return pump running at for gph?

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Sicce Syncra 1.5 (358 gph) in an Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Sicce Syncra 1.5 (358 gph) in an Innovative Marine 25 Lagoon
Just a thought, if u do happen to have it running at a lower return output, try speeding it up to increase turnover and get more out of the sock, and just check it daily for clogging, otherwise it isnt doing much.

Hope it clears up soon, if not we can find the resources to help diagnose the issue.

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would filter feeders help with mechanical filtration

acan-man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have a media tower type basket in the aio, but a ball of filter floss would help pull a lot out. Thats what I use in my diy aio. Super cheep 6 dollar bag at big box fish stores. Change it out twice a week and clean water. If you move it towards the beginning of the overflow, then it will have a similar effect as a filter sock

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have a media tower type basket in the aio, but a ball of filter floss would help pull a lot out. Thats what I use in my diy aio. Super cheep 6 dollar bag at big box fish stores. Change it out twice a week and clean water. If you move it towards the beginning of the overflow, then it will have a similar effect as a filter sock

I do have a media tower in one of the chambers, and a filter sock in the one on the opposite side. I changed out the filter pads today, but I only have them on the top later as I had chemi pure blue in the rest of the chamber shelves. Would you recommend putting filter floss in all of the media tower shelves?

acan-man

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is only in the first level of the tower, then I have sponges below. It is a fairly thick ball that is held right next to the wall with a piece of rubble so there are no gaps. Is there anywhere in yours that the water can flow around without coming in contact with the filter media?

OP
OP
A

ashtonp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is only in the first level of the tower, then I have sponges below. It is a fairly thick ball that is held right next to the wall with a piece of rubble so there are no gaps. Is there anywhere in yours that the water can flow around without coming in contact with the filter media?

Thanks for letting me know that. Mine is not stacked right up, and maybe it’s going over without contacting which is why it’s not clearing. I will try stacking it higher

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice suggestion. Didnt consider floss in my response as well.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider the micro debris in the water column normal for a reef tank. Even with a skimmer and filter socks there will always be some micro debris floating around. If something was disturbed I would give it some time to settle. From my experience the micro debris can be a valuable food source for some fish and corals as it will contain microbes and pods. Almost everyday my tanks will get a little hazy with micro debris in the water due to the fish kicking up sand but it never has had a negative impact on the corals or fish. On occasion I even kick up sand in small areas as a means of feeding the corals and getting some detritus to the skimmer.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back