Floating Probe Holder for Saltwater Mixing Station

joshuazepstein

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 26, 2025
Messages
2
Reaction score
1
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some extra equipment and would like to add some probes and heaters to my saltwater mixing station. It’s a 55 gallon/44 inch tall container. Saltwater is pumped into it via 1” pvc that goes straight down from top to almost the bottom. Since some of the probes cannot be fully submerged, I’m thinking of a floating ring that goes on the vertical pvc pipe. That way the probes float up and down depending on the depth of water in the tank.

FWIW - Don’t fight me on the necessity of this. I know it’s not needed but would be a nice to have.

Question - any fatal flaws with this plan? And any suggestions on materials for the floating ring? I’ve thought about cork since it’s easy to work with but open to anything else.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

#WelcometoR2R

My first thought was just a floating piece of foam to hold the probes.

Good luck!
 
You could use a short piece of 2-inch PVC, placed over your 1-inch PVC, so that it will slide up and down. Attach the heater and probe to that. You may have to add some weight.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new