Flood in Basement

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and when I came down to my finished basement where my 55g reef tank is, found that our sump had backed up and the carpeted floor is flooded. Looks like we are going to have to pull up and replace all carpeting.

Trying to plan how I’m going to deal with the tank. There’s carpet under it so it’s going to have to be moved in order to replace the carpet under it. I’d love to be able to keep the rock work in place and just lower the water level enough to move the tank for a couple hours. Is this too risky? I know the alternative is to completely dismantle the tank but would love to avoid it.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated. I’ve got about 48hrs to get it figured out.

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the situation... That sucks.. :(

Sounds a little risky to move it with the rock work, in especially if it has lose rocks. I would remove anything that can topple over. Then maybe put some sheets of styrofoam against the inside of the glass in case anything falls against it when you move it. But of course it depends on how heavy it is with the remaining rocks, substrate and stand.

Do you have to put carpet underneath the tank again? In case of a similar situation would happen again you wouldn't repeat this process.

Good luck and take it slow and easy with the moving!

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would dismantle to assure you don't crack your tank or break a seam.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shampooing the carpet and industrial fans can clean out the salt and then dry out the carpet so it doesn't have to be removed.

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all- it’s actually not a tank leak, my house sump pump came unplugged and flooded the basement. Looks like all carpeting needs to be replaced early next week. So looking at a complete breakdown I guess. Bummed as the tank was really just stabilizing at 10 mos old so hopefully won’t be too much of a setback. At least my sump will get a needed cleaning...

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be doing the move on Friday. Just need to move the tank 10 feet into the fish room and then when floors are in (figuring on 4-5 hours) move it back 10ft to its spot.

My plan is to drain sump, put all fuge algae into bucket and then pull the sump and give it and all equipment a good cleaning.

Then for the tank, I’m going to drain most of the water into a big 32g brute can with heater and power head and then pull my main rockwork, which is epoxied together, with across still on it and place in the big brute. The remaining rocks with stuff on them (small zoo garden, hammer and montis) I’ll add to the brute can individually.

Then going to move the fish and cleaner shrimp into my 10g QT, where I figure they’ll be best off. I know it’s small but figure given the limited time period they should be OK.

Then will drain remainder of water down to sand level (1-2”). Im hoping to be able to move the tank with this very small amount of water and sand still in it. Last I’ll move the stand into the fish room. Then after floorings in I’ll reverse the process.

I’ve got a bunch of buckets and a 10g brute in case I need extra containers. Also have 20g of fresh saltwater mixed, heated and ready in case I need it.

Any thoughts on the plan greatly appreciated, particularly on how I’m handling the sand bed.

Bruzzerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with everything! What kind of stand so you have? If it’s mfd you might want to consider replacing it if the flood water was in contact with it. I just thought I would bring this up, I’m sure you are thinking about the big problem(carpet). If I had the same problem I know the stand would be the last thing on my mind

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same thing

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will be doing the move on Friday. Just need to move the tank 10 feet into the fish room and then when floors are in (figuring on 4-5 hours) move it back 10ft to its spot.

My plan is to drain sump, put all fuge algae into bucket and then pull the sump and give it and all equipment a good cleaning.

Then for the tank, I’m going to drain most of the water into a big 32g brute can with heater and power head and then pull my main rockwork, which is epoxied together, with across still on it and place in the big brute. The remaining rocks with stuff on them (small zoo garden, hammer and montis) I’ll add to the brute can individually.

Then going to move the fish and cleaner shrimp into my 10g QT, where I figure they’ll be best off. I know it’s small but figure given the limited time period they should be OK.

Then will drain remainder of water down to sand level (1-2”). Im hoping to be able to move the tank with this very small amount of water and sand still in it. Last I’ll move the stand into the fish room. Then after floorings in I’ll reverse the process.

I’ve got a bunch of buckets and a 10g brute in case I need extra containers. Also have 20g of fresh saltwater mixed, heated and ready in case I need it.

Any thoughts on the plan greatly appreciated, particularly on how I’m handling the sand bed.

Buy some of the large brute trash cans - siphon the water into it - put the rock into it, the fish into another - and move everything separately. tank stand etc. Put a pump in the trash can with your rock. then move the tank and stand into the other room. and rearrange your rock. If you stand is wet - there is also the possibility that it is damaged - and sliding it with the tank, rock etc would not be a good idea. I had to do this one time - and this was a quick easy way to do it:) good luck

OP
OP
TechnicalFisher

TechnicalFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @MnFish1 - that's exactly what I ended up doing. Stand and all equipment was fine as the flood was mostly on the opposite side of the room near where my home's sump pit it located.

Anyway, happy to report that after a 13 hour day of tank breakdown, flooring installation, tank rebuild, cleanup from flooring (and then as a cherry on top a sleepless night caused by our toddler having a stomach bug) everything is back up and running with zero losses! Don't want to have to do that again any time soon but glad to know I can do it without any major problems if necessary. Thanks again to those who chimed in!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back