Flood Prevention HOB Overflow box

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to set up a overflow for a small sump to hide some equipment. If I am understanding correctly, if I put the return pump behind a baffle or into a small bucket, so long as the volume of bucket + overhead is less than the void volume, I shouldn't encounter an overflow if the siphon breaks in the HOB overflow? For my tank I think the void or headspace should be roughly 3 gallons which should be an acceptable level for the 10g sump I'm planning.

1631497718025.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You basically want enough spare capacity in your sump such that when you turn off your return pump, the water that can potentially drain from the overflow and back through the return outlets won’t overflow the sump. A baffle and/or return pump chamber would be your best bet.

You may want to try to find some dimensions of sumps sold online that are close to what you have or are planning as a reference.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if your return pump chamber is small enough that it's volume isn't enough to overflow the display then I don't see why your plan wouldn't work. If the tank isn't already setup it seems like some outside testing would be in order to easily test your plan.
You basically want enough spare capacity in your sump such that when you turn off your return pump, the water that can potentially drain from the overflow and back through the return outlets won’t overflow the sump. A baffle and/or return pump chamber would be your best bet.

You may want to try to find some dimensions of sumps sold online that are close to what you have or are planning as a reference.
While that is true I believe the OP is actually talking about trying to keep from overflowing the display if the hob overflow losses siphon.

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up also getting a small float switch to cutoff the pump if it comes to the rim. Just in case.

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got one from autotopoff its a simple float switch. Very small and easy to hide.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back