Florescent Macro ID

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was re-gluing a frag that was knocked down and this piece of rubble caught my eye. No filters used. In white or blue light it fluoresces.

AM-JKLXsuPExNmrfpCfFS2YnrB462o6YYeNRRF8tiMQz2F61SsadWzQE2WA-OiyWKlp_a1vHVlewXDAKq5OinzQwjtrJNEFgcSr6axUUNl0Q3yl4VQofn0RkjZShJL8-6RoGL91FPwuthnoEDAJMwGrJwHfzew=w1362-h767-no

AM-JKLVStCEe9G_BbsrZGFRrRdCjM4K1Fx8JWQTx83vxMkkvzmPP6cxS4ZFAcer0_IGTAWXGM7XGCbKLf_Oi2HzPMLCUZKprrx1JrMHI3Y3MYY2uDnI90YQ01jFqVOQ7SJ-yi1z6tCrw9AJxJIW1UX7k4xZ2mw=w1362-h767-no

AM-JKLU5-tvLqnjvdGmsDKXXf_tnUp94uuQCAfozJBgJw-MFCA7FicZj43yKmmjZ0KLQxtApt2cXTA0HOOn58p6e9lFYeAG9_T1UclzzIdHY_LHJlSl_9sXxrf7lmL9U7_1RqP9rUDFZFkAHViC_A4_tZK5T7w=w1362-h767-no

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Looks like the same macroalgae on @sixty_reefer's profile picture in addition to Sea lettuce that resembles Ulva californica (though I doubt it):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulva_californica
2. Resembles Nemastoma or Predaea. These are gelatinous red macroalgae that rarely enter the trade:
https://www.marineplantbook.com/marinebooknemastoma.htm
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/is-this-nemastoma-algae.902884/
https://www.unter-wasser-freiburg.de/Predaea-sp-Rotalge-auf-Substrat-pro-PortionDNZ

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just found the most stunning algae I ever saw during my days as a reefer, I’ve end up nickname it Acid Rain as I never was able to get the right specie. Am suspecting it may be halymenia dilatata. This algae just looks mental under whites and even crazier under blues. Looks better than coral imo.
You should grow it and start distributing it by the USA reefers, I’ve been asked a lot to send it over but wasn’t able due to import issues from the UK to The US.

E41C0646-D986-4F4F-B5BB-5A933DF4385F.png

link with some info and development of the algae

Last edited:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was re-gluing a frag that was knocked down and this piece of rubble caught my eye. No filters used. In white or blue light it fluoresces.

AM-JKLXsuPExNmrfpCfFS2YnrB462o6YYeNRRF8tiMQz2F61SsadWzQE2WA-OiyWKlp_a1vHVlewXDAKq5OinzQwjtrJNEFgcSr6axUUNl0Q3yl4VQofn0RkjZShJL8-6RoGL91FPwuthnoEDAJMwGrJwHfzew=w1362-h767-no

AM-JKLVStCEe9G_BbsrZGFRrRdCjM4K1Fx8JWQTx83vxMkkvzmPP6cxS4ZFAcer0_IGTAWXGM7XGCbKLf_Oi2HzPMLCUZKprrx1JrMHI3Y3MYY2uDnI90YQ01jFqVOQ7SJ-yi1z6tCrw9AJxJIW1UX7k4xZ2mw=w1362-h767-no

AM-JKLU5-tvLqnjvdGmsDKXXf_tnUp94uuQCAfozJBgJw-MFCA7FicZj43yKmmjZ0KLQxtApt2cXTA0HOOn58p6e9lFYeAG9_T1UclzzIdHY_LHJlSl_9sXxrf7lmL9U7_1RqP9rUDFZFkAHViC_A4_tZK5T7w=w1362-h767-no
That’s a really nice macro. If you are successful in growing this out and want to share it, please put me on your list!!!

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! Thank you for the responses!

I've moved it to the frag tank, where there is currently no CUC. I've got some Pithos that have become incredibly lazy, but I bet they'd eat this if they saw it.

I'm curious where this could have hitchhiked in from. I have about 15lbs of Florida aquacultured rock, but otherwise it's all dry.

@sixty_reefer are you still successfully growing this "Acid Rain"?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting! Thank you for the responses!

I've moved it to the frag tank, where there is currently no CUC. I've got some Pithos that have become incredibly lazy, but I bet they'd eat this if they saw it.

I'm curious where this could have hitchhiked in from. I have about 15lbs of Florida aquacultured rock, but otherwise it's all dry.

@sixty_reefer are you still successfully growing this "Acid Rain"?
Most likely came as a hitchhiker from your live rock, I think I still got a small piece in the tank, I struggled a lot during the house move to keep it alive. It’s a slow grower it took me 4-6 months to grow from a single leaf like yours to those pictures above. She does well under medium light to keep the colour. Keep it safe and share it around to keep the algae going. it’s really incredible under the right conditions.

I think the nickname suits the algae well to as she looks almost acid washed :p

Last edited:
OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely came as a hitchhiker from your live rock, I think I still got a small piece in the tank, I struggled a lot during the house move to keep it alive. It’s a slow grower it took me 4-6 months to grow from a single leaf like yours to those pictures above. She does well under medium light to keep the colour. Keep it safe and share it around to keep the algae going. it’s really incredible under the right conditions.

I think the nickname suits the algae well to as she looks almost acid washed :p
I will do my best to keep it thriving. My frag tank is tied to my display, so no worry about parameter changes moving it. Lighting is different, but still heavy on the full spectrum.

I've noticed some flourescent specs here and there in my display. Hoping those prove to be more Acid Rain!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will do my best to keep it thriving. My frag tank is tied to my display, so no worry about parameter changes moving it. Lighting is different, but still heavy on the full spectrum.

I've noticed some flourescent specs here and there in my display. Hoping those prove to be more Acid Rain!
I grew mine in with just blue and white light, treat it as you would treat any sps frag regarding light, flow and parameters. I always tough this would be ideal for sps tanks as it’s not invasive at all and looks well under blues. Good luck with it, hoping to see the development as it grows. Maybe a new thread?

OP
OP
jhuntstl

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew mine in with just blue and white light, treat it as you would treat any sps frag regarding light, flow and parameters. I always tough this would be ideal for sps tanks as it’s not invasive at all and looks well under blues. Good luck with it, hoping to see the development as it grows. Maybe a new thread?
I'll dedicate a section of the frag tank to it and maybe some other macros. If I spot more in the display, I'll let it grow out there too. I'll either have a mod edit the title or I'll start a new thread if I don't end up killing it :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll dedicate a section of the frag tank to it and maybe some other macros. If I spot more in the display, I'll let it grow out there too. I'll either have a mod edit the title or I'll start a new thread if I don't end up killing it :)
If you like rare algaes keep your eyes for this one

6219EE62-113D-446E-8AEA-AD226E5C0197.jpeg

probably one of my nicest finds that I dnt own any more, it looked crazy almost like a mushroom colony. Never seen one anywhere else, not even a clue on the name.

reddevilant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like rare algaes keep your eyes for this one

6219EE62-113D-446E-8AEA-AD226E5C0197.jpeg

probably one of my nicest finds that I dnt own any more, it looked crazy almost like a mushroom colony. Never seen one anywhere else, not even a clue on the name.
Someone actually messaged me a couple months ago saying that they had it and had some to share! But he hasn't messaged back in a few weeks :crying-face:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone actually messaged me a couple months ago saying that they had it and had some to share! But he hasn't messaged back in a few weeks :crying-face:
You need to share some pics wend you get it, did he found what was it called?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back