Florida Native Species (all Collected) IM25 Lagoon

BurlyWizard

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 28, 2021
Messages
95
Reaction score
45
Location
Texas
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, starting the build thread here for an idea I've had for a long time. I have an IM25 lagoon that was previously used as an invert tank, but we recently relocated to South Florida (east), and I've always wanted to have a "collector" tank.

The rules of this tank will be simple - if I find it, catch it, and it can reasonably fit in my tank, I will keep it. The tank will leverage local macro algae as well as saltwater plants (mangroves or otherwise), and I'll try to find some sand to use as well. From what I can tell, collecting live rock is prohibited in the state, so I'll have to use some old dry rock I have.

I won't be dosing, I won't be using a skimmer, no fancy lights, and I only plan to use physical filtration and maybe some carbon. I'll be primarily leveraging the plants I collect and the local ecosystem to support it. Ideally, relying on top off and minimal water changes unless things go off the rails. The critters may not all get along, but I'll do my best and will enjoy having a "backyard" tank sourced entirely from a stone's throw.

I am completely unsure of what will actually make it in the tank, but I'm expecting some small fish, crabs, snails, and whatever hitchhikers I collect from floating sargassum weed when out on the boat.

I know the rules are strict on what can be collected, and I plan to do this all within the confines of the law.

Feel free to follow along, and share any thoughts, wisdom, watch-outs, or questions.

Sources:
Florida Marine Life Collecting State Regulation
Mangrove Collecting State Regulation
 
Following. I'm also in FL and this seems like an interesting idea. Sounds like you already have it covered, but I'd double and triple-check regulations before harvesting. ticking off FFWC isn't the way to go.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new