Florida Ric help!!!!

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a beautiful (was) florida ric rock from ReefGoddess coveried in tangerine polyps. While I was setting up my ric tank I kept the rics under MH lights in my show tank. Over the last couple of weeks they have faded and shrunk to half their normal size. Does anybody know of any way to get them back to their normal healthy appearance. I have moved them to my ric tank and they are now under less light (PC as opposed to MH). Is their any supplement or food that I can be adding to perk them up??

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time is the cheapest and most proven. They should return to former glory, all other things being in good shape (parameters, flow, etc.). Mine eventually pick up color under MH (usually a more dense color), but tend to look a little washed out initially. The ones lower in the tank and shaded are much larger, but the color isn't as dense...

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IT could have been that they were getting to much light to fast, did you photo acclimate them? I usually start all of mine on the bottom and move them up as the get comfy.....They might comeback with no messing arounf with them under the PC.

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they were sheltered from the direct MH blast initially and actually looked great for several weeks, then they declined. Hopefully the PC lights and a little "dirtier" tank will help. I was hoping that someone new of a food or supplement that would help them bounce back.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping that someone new of a food or supplement that would help them bounce back.

cyclopeeze......mine react like it's going out of style.

but since you said yours are faded (bleached), you have to take it easy...move them to lower light, and keep your eye on them.

r. florida can take bright lights, fme... but they need to be acclimated very slowly.....you said yours was shaded under the MH "initially"...my guess was that was not long enough, or you moved them too high, too quickly.

Zach.

OP
OP
J

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never moved them high in the tank. They were always at the bottom of a 72 gallon bowfront. They were never even placed directly under the MH lights (250 watt). This whole colony sat next to other ric colonies onthe bottom of the tank and the other colonies never reacted this way. Thiss has been very confusing.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back