Flow for centrally located overflow

arcangelreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ran flow only from one side of their tank with a central overflow?

I know this is common on peninsula style tanks, reason I ask is the way my tank sits in the room I would really like to not have any pumps or power heads on the one side of the glass as it’s actually a main viewing panel and the first side of the tank you see when you come in my front door.
My tank is a water box reef 180.5, it’s 60” long.

I want to put 2 MP40’s on the one side panel that’s not visible pushing flow to the other end of the tank.
My concern is with a central overflow am I going to end up trapping lots of **** in the tank that should by going into the overflow or is it really not a concern.
I know traditionally the way most set it up is 1 or 2 power heads on both sides and it’s how I have it setup now. I’d just really like to not have stuff on that one side panel.

Thoughts? Anyone currently running this kind of setup? Im going to try it regardless and see how it works out, just looking for some other insight and possible experience.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing to do is try it out and see how it works.

Making your tank visually appearling without all kinds of equipment in plain sight is a good goal to have.

If you feel that you are not getting enough flow on the side of the tanks the pumps are shooting from, then perhaps putting a pump on the back wall aimed at the front glass will create the additional flow you are looking for at the end of the tank closest to the pumps -- If I understand the layout you are trying to describe.

A lil powerful pump like a Panta Rhei on the back wall. Or a Tunze Stream 3 buried within the rock work. Might get you the additional flow you are looking for.

Dave B

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back