Flow for Lowboy Frag Tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter reaper93
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reaper93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2021
Messages
1,245
Reaction score
3,583
Location
Connecticut
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I am setting up a 50g Lowboy to be used as a frag tank and wanted to see what everyone is using for flow in these style tanks. I was thinking either an MP40 or a Gyre on one side of the tank. Only issue I see with the MP40 is that it may suck in air because of how short the tank is. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
 
Hi guys!

I am setting up a 50g Lowboy to be used as a frag tank and wanted to see what everyone is using for flow in these style tanks. I was thinking either an MP40 or a Gyre on one side of the tank. Only issue I see with the MP40 is that it may suck in air because of how short the tank is. Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks
your concern on the mp40 is correct. I would not use them on this setup. In my 600L they suck air occasionally and they are about 10" below surface. cant imagine they are very practical fro you.

Also, they are dang expensive so probably better/cheaper options for you
 
your concern on the mp40 is correct. I would not use them on this setup. In my 600L they suck air occasionally and they are about 10" below surface. cant imagine they are very practical fro you.

Also, they are dang expensive so probably better/cheaper options for you
I've been looking at gyres
 
I’m using a pair of Nero 3s and the return…..probably could use a little more, but I have sand for a few small burrowing wrasses I‘m growing out with it also being a frag tank.
Any pics?
 
I use a gyre on mine with two return return nozzles. Corals love the flow.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new