Flow in Biocube

Trylobyte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna say this depends on a variety of different factors. A picture of your tank would probably help everyone to give their opinion, as your scape is going to decide your overall result. As for a few other factors what kind of powerhead? How many GPH? Is it constant flow, pulse, etc.? Are you trying to get maximum flow throughout the whole tank or are you trying to get areas with lower or higher flows for different corals?

On that note, your return is going from back to front, so I would probably put it on a side of the tank that happens to "intersect" your return flow to create a little turbulence.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always placed my power head on the side. For the vast majority of my BC's life that was an MP10 on the right side of the tank. Rock arrangement matters. You want the power head to have a pretty clear shot across the tank.

OP
OP
Dakippy

Dakippy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am gonna say this depends on a variety of different factors. A picture of your tank would probably help everyone to give their opinion, as your scape is going to decide your overall result. As for a few other factors what kind of powerhead? How many GPH? Is it constant flow, pulse, etc.? Are you trying to get maximum flow throughout the whole tank or are you trying to get areas with lower or higher flows for different corals?

On that note, your return is going from back to front, so I would probably put it on a side of the tank that happens to "intersect" your return flow to create a little turbulence.

BE2EBBB1-3C6C-4367-AB42-9387AFF29221.jpeg

OP
OP
Dakippy

Dakippy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have just been trying to get more flow on the sandbed because i have had cyano outbreaks even though all my parameters are in check.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Try a gyre vertical in the left rear. Or...regular powerhead left side 1/3 from the rear about 3 inches down from the top.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your cyano will eventually go away, but your rock is a big structure. Try a Jebao CP25 vertical.

OP
OP
Dakippy

Dakippy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the stock biocube pump which is 250 gph and i have a cheap aqueon powerhead from petco but i am planning on ordering a new one.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What would you recommend for about a $50 price range?
Upgrade your pump first. Sicce 1.5. Saltwateraquarium.com has an open box for 59.00 right now.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in my biocube days, I upgraded the return to a sicce 1.5, and had 2 mp10's on opposing sides at different heights. I got flow up high, and down low on the sandbed. I also had the big "lagoon" style rock pile as yourself.

Xyloxo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 hydor korilla's placed facing each other at the back of the tank, on the glass. They alternate using the hydor wave thingy. Forget what it's called right now. That in addition to a vco random flow generator, makes for some interesting flow patterns.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll tag along on this since it has been bumped. For those who have upgraded to the Sicce 1.5 and are recommending it, you don't find it to be too much flow?

I was originally looking to upgrade to a MJ1200 but the Cobalts are still showing to be sold out everywhere. I was looking for another alternative to the MJ1200 and came across the Sicce 1.5. I see several people recommend them, but I also see several people say they border on too much flow causing increased bubbling/gurgling noises as well as too much flow finding it's way around the media baskets.

I like the idea of the bump in flow rate the Sicce 1.5 offers, but a few people had me worried it might end up being too much flow. I have an Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon still running the stock pump. I do have a Locline Y on the return to direct the flow in two directions inside the tank.

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess I'll tag along on this since it has been bumped. For those who have upgraded to the Sicce 1.5 and are recommending it, you don't find it to be too much flow?

I was originally looking to upgrade to a MJ1200 but the Cobalts are still showing to be sold out everywhere. I was looking for another alternative to the MJ1200 and came across the Sicce 1.5. I see several people recommend them, but I also see several people say they border on too much flow causing increased bubbling/gurgling noises as well as too much flow finding it's way around the media baskets.

I like the idea of the bump in flow rate the Sicce 1.5 offers, but a few people had me worried it might end up being too much flow. I have an Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon still running the stock pump. I do have a Locline Y on the return to direct the flow in two directions inside the tank.
It won’t be too much, I run a mp10 100% reef crest and a icecap gyre 50-70% on a few different modes. I’d rather have too much flow the not enough flow.

RDA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a MP10 in the tank as well. I guess what some people were saying was that it was too much flow in the back chambers, not so much too much flow back into the tank. Hopefully I worded it where that makes sense?

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sicce return in my BC32, I can't remember if it is the 1.5 or the 2.0. In any case, the 1.5 has an adjustable flow rate so if you think it's more than you need you can just dial it back.

I have an MP10 on the R side (looking facing the front, so diagonal from the return) and a Sicce Voyager Nano (530 gph) in the top left.

Back