Flow in Fuge

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya folks I was wondering what kind of flow should I have in my fuge? my first thoughts when I set it up was to give it very little flow, but now I am wondering if I should add a small powerhead. all my plans for the fuge were some Chaeto and pods for now.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slow is ok as long as the cheato will get enough flow so it will not rot away

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a small power head to the bottom to keep the water moving and the detritus off the bottom.
As long as you turn your Chaeto weekly, I’d try it with the pump first.

Just how much flow are we talking about? What looks like a little flow to the naked eye could be much more under the water.

How many GPH does the sump cycle itself?

In the past to see how much flow I’ve gotten at the bottom was, take a piece of string, tie it to a piece of rubble and place it at the bottom. Wanted to make sure the string was standing up and down. It was probably laying at a 45 angle.
That was my trick, anyone else do anything different to check flow?

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a small power head in my fuge to keep movement going over my chaeto. Originally I didnt have a head in there and the flow was ridiculously slow. I almost lost my chaeto and had a bit of a slime develop on the top of the water and macro algae. Since adding the power head I have seen good growth in my chaeto and the water has cleared up tremendously.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a small power head to the bottom to keep the water moving and the detritus off the bottom.
As long as you turn your Chaeto weekly, I’d try it with the pump first.

Just how much flow are we talking about? What looks like a little flow to the naked eye could be much more under the water.

How many GPH does the sump cycle itself?

In the past to see how much flow I’ve gotten at the bottom was, take a piece of string, tie it to a piece of rubble and place it at the bottom. Wanted to make sure the string was standing up and down. It was probably laying at a 45 angle.
That was my trick, anyone else do anything different to check flow?
I like that string trick. Never thought of doing that. Thanks for sharing.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back