Flow in my IM 25 Lagoon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fish Fan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Jebao is a good choice. I run one in my aio IM15 cube.
With this pump I run it in C mode.
It comes on for 30 seconds then off for 30 and is adjustable time wise.
That mode works well and gives the tank a break every 30.
You won't need more than 1 or 2 0w-10's.I run mine on the lowest setting. I ran the ow25's in my old 36×24×12 frag system with good results.
You think something like this is better than the gyre pump option?

Thanks very much!
 
You have the old version or QuiteDrive? Mine has been super quiet! You don't even hear them at 90%+ but that's too much flow for a 25gal. You should be able to run both at 60% on Reef Crest mode and should be fine...
I’m not sure, honestly. This literally my first time with these EcoTech pumps :)

I know that they both have the “W”, but only one of them does the “W” light up. I really should watch some videos on how to reset them, and see if I can sync them. However, I am leaning towards replacing them here, so maybe not worth it to learn.

Thanks for your help!
 
Casting my vote with @Vivid Creative Aquatics. I'm using the RFG on my 20L and love it. My return pump gives me all the flow I need, and the RFG ensures that it's variable so that I'm not just blasting a focused stream of water at the same spot all the time. Plus, no additional unsightly powerhead.

With the MJ 538, you're getting ~500 GPH. In a 25g tank, that's a 20X turnover. Not quite enough for SPS, but it's a lot. You could add an additional small powerhead to get you into that 30X to 50X range you'd want for SPS, but you could also just beef up your return pump instead.
Thanks for sharing that, I have been thinking VCA ;-)
 
I would highly recommend the Random Flow Generator (RFG)... for obvious reasons :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:


Putting my bias aside for a moment, the Random Flow Generator is a very simply way to create flow and movement in these tanks.

The Spinstream is a good product, however it does require regular maintenance to prevented from sticking or staying in one position and it is pretty restrictive in terms of flow-through. At least more than an RFG is.


My advice would be to go with the single 1/2in RFG paired with the 19mm Slip-fit Drop adapter for each outlet.
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/innovative-marine/#20gallonormore
Then crank that pump up to 100%. Or, if you really want to see them create waves, install two smaller pumps like a mighty jet 328 - one for each side.


With about 250 tp 450 GPH going through each RFG, you may not even need an additional power head talking up sapce. Especially if you're not considering SPS at this time

1747756215350.png
one nice thing about the 1/2in RFG paired with the 19mm slip-for-drop is that the over all size is exactly the same length as the sock flare nozzle and more narrow - so it doesn't take up a lot of room
Thank you for your reply here! I had been thinking of you guys, but I don’t know much about your products. Admittedly, I didn’t care for the SpinStream that I have now.

I followed your links above, but to be clear, for my IM 25 with dual returns I would need two of your RFG, and two of the connector you linked above?

Honestly, my plan for this tank was to use two IM Mighty Jet 328’s and I do have the pumps on hand, but it looked to me like an extremely tight fight, so I opted for a single Mighty Jet 538 with a “Y” splitter. Do you know for sure if the two Might Jet 328’s will fit this tank specifically?

Thank you again for your help here!
 
I would highly recommend the Random Flow Generator (RFG)... for obvious reasons :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:


Putting my bias aside for a moment, the Random Flow Generator is a very simply way to create flow and movement in these tanks.

The Spinstream is a good product, however it does require regular maintenance to prevented from sticking or staying in one position and it is pretty restrictive in terms of flow-through. At least more than an RFG is.


My advice would be to go with the single 1/2in RFG paired with the 19mm Slip-fit Drop adapter for each outlet.
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/innovative-marine/#20gallonormore
Then crank that pump up to 100%. Or, if you really want to see them create waves, install two smaller pumps like a mighty jet 328 - one for each side.


With about 250 tp 450 GPH going through each RFG, you may not even need an additional power head talking up sapce. Especially if you're not considering SPS at this time

1747756215350.png
one nice thing about the 1/2in RFG paired with the 19mm slip-for-drop is that the over all size is exactly the same length as the sock flare nozzle and more narrow - so it doesn't take up a lot of room
ah yes forgot about spinstreams. I'm running them on my IM 25 as well. One did stop spinning after a few months. Just pulled it apart and cleaned with some water and it was good to go. Super easy to clean and assemble.
 
I’m not sure, honestly. This literally my first time with these EcoTech pumps :)

I know that they both have the “W”, but only one of them does the “W” light up. I really should watch some videos on how to reset them, and see if I can sync them. However, I am leaning towards replacing them here, so maybe not worth it to learn.

Thanks for your help!
Look at the controller - I hope that it’s not white, which is really old. Got pics?

You can reset it here:
https://support.ecotechmarine.com/h...31098-VorTech-Propeller-Pump-Controller-Reset
These pumps are awesome - easy to clean and no wires inside the tank. All my tanks are driven by Ecotech gear! :)
 
Thank you for your reply here! I had been thinking of you guys, but I don’t know much about your products. Admittedly, I didn’t care for the SpinStream that I have now.

I followed your links above, but to be clear, for my IM 25 with dual returns I would need two of your RFG, and two of the connector you linked above?

Honestly, my plan for this tank was to use two IM Mighty Jet 328’s and I do have the pumps on hand, but it looked to me like an extremely tight fight, so I opted for a single Mighty Jet 538 with a “Y” splitter. Do you know for sure if the two Might Jet 328’s will fit this tank specifically?

Thank you again for your help here!
Do the single 328. Its going to be a tight fit. I tried that with two 266s and it just wasn't going to work out with everything else I needed back their.
 
.... Do you know for sure if the two Might Jet 328’s will fit this tank specifically?

Thank you again for your help here!
it will, but it will be a tight fit. if you have any other equipment to go back there is like a large skimmer, then you may not have the room. if you already have the pumps on hand, it's worth try, though.


I followed your links above, but to be clear, for my IM 25 with dual returns I would need two of your RFG, and two of the connector you linked above?

That is correct - you'll need one set (1/2in RFG an one 19mm slip-fit drop) per outlet. You can actually run the RFG with loc-line directly on the outlet, using the 1/2in Random Flow Generator Flow Kit since the stock fitting are in fact loc-line compatible. However the extra loc-lien adds too much length to the for that tank, IMO

The Slip-Fit Drop and 1/2int RFG as compact as the stock flare nozzle, and because of the way the RFG works, you really don't need much in the way of adjustably

Innovative Marine Slip-Fit-Drop Adapter – 19mm to 1/2in Loc-Line – Flex
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/19mm-to-12in-rfg-slip-fit-drop-adapter/
Flex Series 1/2in Random Flow Generator – RFG050-FLX
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/flex-series-1-2in-random-flow-generator-rfg050-flx/
 
You think something like this is better than the gyre pump option?

Thanks very much!
If you don't want sand moving around probably. I have never an a gyre.
What I like about the ow is that it's not in a fixed position so I can point it where it benefits the whole system.
 
If you don't want sand moving around probably. I have never an a gyre.
What I like about the ow is that it's not in a fixed position so I can point it where it benefits the whole system.
I had been considering the gyre because this tank is so shallow, and my rock is high, and with any amount of growth, I thought it would be a good idea to have something at the top for flow.

Bare bottom on this tank, so let it flow lol!
 
Well dang it @Fish Fan!

I ordered a Hygger return 600 gph for another purpose, should get it today. Now I am going get 2 RFG and switch out the Jebao 400 gph for the Hygger.

:)
Haha, I’m glad to help lol!
 
Do the single 328. Its going to be a tight fit. I tried that with two 266s and it just wasn't going to work out with everything else I needed back their.
Right now I have a single 538 and it’s tight, but it’s working. I might try to fit the two 328’s in there after all.
 
Right now I have a single 538 and it’s tight, but it’s working. I might try to fit the two 328’s in there after all.
This is with a single 266 at max, 2 spinstreams. Single dmp-20 at 40%

 
Look at the controller - I hope that it’s not white, which is really old. Got pics?

You can reset it here:
https://support.ecotechmarine.com/h...31098-VorTech-Propeller-Pump-Controller-Reset
These pumps are awesome - easy to clean and no wires inside the tank. All my tanks are driven by Ecotech gear! :)
Haha! One of the four MP-10’s I have is indeed white! All have come to me when I purchased someone’s whole system, so no big deal if they don’t work well. I will try that link and see if I can get my current two working better in the short term.
 
it will, but it will be a tight fit. if you have any other equipment to go back there is like a large skimmer, then you may not have the room. if you already have the pumps on hand, it's worth try, though.




That is correct - you'll need one set (1/2in RFG an one 19mm slip-fit drop) per outlet. You can actually run the RFG with loc-line directly on the outlet, using the 1/2in Random Flow Generator Flow Kit since the stock fitting are in fact loc-line compatible. However the extra loc-lien adds too much length to the for that tank, IMO

The Slip-Fit Drop and 1/2int RFG as compact as the stock flare nozzle, and because of the way the RFG works, you really don't need much in the way of adjustably

Innovative Marine Slip-Fit-Drop Adapter – 19mm to 1/2in Loc-Line – Flex
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/19mm-to-12in-rfg-slip-fit-drop-adapter/
Flex Series 1/2in Random Flow Generator – RFG050-FLX
https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/shop/flex-series-1-2in-random-flow-generator-rfg050-flx/
I think I want to give this a try. If nothing else, I think I like the way it looks in the tank a little better than the IM SpinStream.

Would there be any extra discounts for the R2R crowd, looks like you just made two sales in this thread :winking-face-with-tongue::upside-down-face::zany-face:
 
Last edited:
I have this tank and besides the return pump, I have a cheap jeabo sow-4 in it, works great.
 
I think I want to give this a try. If nothing else, I think I like the way it looks in the tank a little better than the IM SpinStream.

Would there be any extra discounts for the R2R crowd, looks like you just made two sale in this thread :winking-face-with-tongue::upside-down-face::zany-face:
Indeed!
I will report back in 5-7 days.
 
Haha! One of the four MP-10’s I have is indeed white! All have come to me when I purchased someone’s whole system, so no big deal if they don’t work well. I will try that link and see if I can get my current two working better in the short term.
So you should be good — two MP10 Quiet Drive will be more than enough. Enjoy your build — I love mine, much more than my bigger tanks! lol
 
I have this tank and besides the return pump, I have a cheap jeabo sow-4 in it, works great.
Thanks for your input here! Did you upgrade from the stock pump?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 44 32.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new