Flow on 50 Lagoon EXT

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I am currently trying to work out the flow for this tank and I just can not make up my mind so I would appreciate any insight or suggestions.
Currently, I have an icecap 1k on it at ~40% and it is blowing my aragonite sand from the far end inwards, aka it is getting caught in the current as it slams down on the sandbed. I was really hoping to only have one powerhead in the tank so at least one side view is unobstructed. I do have another icecap 1k and was thinking of mounting both of them to the back, maybe configured so it is only one side of each pump. My other thought is to grab a Nero 5 or an mp40 but not sure if that would be enough. The tank will be LPS dominant with a leather, monti, and potentially some acros. Thanks in advance!

50 lagoon.jpg

7akata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an icecap 1k on it at ~40% and it is blowing my aragonite sand
Can you turn it down anymore? Especially with the return and LPS that will most certainly be plenty of flow. As the tank fills in more and more you can start upping the flow rate since other items will be blocking it. Your initial 'uninterrupted' flow in the tank changes dramatically as you will in corals.

The MP40/Nero 5 will also work (I just switched to a Nero from MP's and I actually like it more), but so will that icecap!

OP
OP
Reab

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern with the single gyre is that I don’t get much turbulence and I feel that with only one power head there might be a better one suited for the job. Definitely going to play around with the settings a bit more and see how it acts

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use two Tunze 6055s in mine. It's nice to be able to aim them. I always prefer two pumps to one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back