Flow Rate Sensor placement

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to get a couple of hydros flow rate sensor and attach it to my return and UV.

However, I am dumb and do not understand the laws of fluid dynamics fully.

1. For UV I am assuming the besr spot to put this is on the backend of the UV itself, right? That way it’s measuring how much is really going through.

2. For the return, the easiest spot would be between the return pump and return line. However, is that giving me an accurate measurement of how many gph? Or is the primary/secondary line better? Or is all the same.

I am guessing that assuming my sump is not overflowing or running dry there will be a state of equilibrium where the return pump flow will match the primary/secondary drain.

Again, I am dumb with this. ELI5

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what the size of the hose or pipe it is going thru for the reading. All in all what goes in is the same that comes out it is just a matter of the size of the pipe that the fluid flows thru that dictates the gph. The smaller the pipe the faster the fluid will travel compared to a large pipe to get the same amount through.

So you can put it before or after the uv it’s just a matter of preference.

The return I would put it on the main line since it will tell you what your main is doing and off you wanted to add one to the secondary it plus the main would tell you the total flow.

Hope that helps

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the longer the straight where you can place the sensor the better. You want the flow to be as “calm” as possible going through the sensor. That will give you the most stable reading. I dont think the placement of the meter in the system matters too much. Its not like you will see 1000gph at the pump and 300gph at the outlet given that there is no splits in the system.

1 pump to 1 output the flow rate should be the same throughout.

Last edited:

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For UV I am assuming the besr spot to put this is on the backend of the UV itself, right?
It won't matter which side it's on, the same amount of water is going into the uv as coming out.

Along with reducing flow and increasing back pressure on the pump I would like to point out that these sensors are also very prone to issues as they are essentially a little spinning wheel being turned by the water flowing through it. The more water the faster it spins calculating the gph. Any kind of debris that gets stuck on the impeller can alter the flow reading. They're really not that reliable long term. Hence the reason the warranty on these is so short. Neptune has had them out for a long time and the reviews are not very good. I'm sure the Hydros work/function the same way.

Last edited:

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They're really not that reliable long term. Hence the reason the warranty on these is so short. Neptune has had them out for a long time and the reviews are not very good. I'm sure the Hydros work/function the same way.

This is what has kept me from ever using these. I love the idea, hate how they have to measure it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back