FLOW Requirements

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I'm in the process of converting a 36 gallon Bowfront into a reef tank! I need help understanding the flow requirements that I need! I plan on drilling the back and using this kit:

I plan on doing a DIY sump/small fuge with an old 10 gallon tank I have!

From what I have read you need to have 5-10 times your tank volume go through the sump per hour.... That would be 180/360gph through the sump correct? I have also read that you should have between 20-40x flow in the display (36*30=1080). So If I have a return pump running at 360gph that would leave 720gph coming from powerheads correct? I have heard that it is best to have 2 powerheads instead of 1.... So would 2 Koralia Evolution 550-600 be too much? Should I cut down on the sump pump? Unfortunately the Koralia Evolution doesnt come any smaller... Or should I use 1 Evolution and 1 Nano?

Please help! I am so confused

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your math is about right. I'd recommend getting pumps slightly larger than you think you need. Can always adjust them down. Also make sure to buy an extra WaveMaker for mixing water if you're making your own.

OP
OP
R

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your quick reply! Yeah I just recently bought a used 36 gallon bowfront from someone off craigslist! It came with a bunch of used freshwater equipment including a used 600 Maxi-Jet that I plan to use for mixing saltwater!
Any recommendations on a cheap return pump for the sump? I was looking at this, but just found out that its designed for an all in one system...

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use jebao. Haven't had any issues yet

OP
OP
R

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay! I'm nervous about that one though because it looks like I would have to drill a hole in my 10 gallon sump instead of it just being submersed... I've heard that the glass is too thin to safely drill

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 15x through my AIO filtration and 80x in my tank. My tank is LPS and SPS mixed.

Your tank flow requirements will depend on your coral choices.

OP
OP
R

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Sam! I kinda figured that based on what I have been seeing! Not planning on doing any specialty corals right now!
A.) This is my first tank
B.) I dont have the budget! The lighting option that I was able to afford is a Virpaspectra 150W... I know that this is the cheap option, but making $10/hour that is all I can afford at this time!

Is there such thing as too much flow? And is there a difference between a Koralia Evolution and a Koralia 3rd generation... One is more expensive, but is it really worth the money?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
R

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jekyl! That looks like a really good option for me! Especially considering that the flow is adjustable! I looked through the reviews and they looked like really good reviews as well! Does it have a wave mode? I noticed the feed mode, but didn't know if it had a pulse to it? Is pulse/wave a big deal?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the OW-10s on my 90 gallon. I run them on else mode now which is random patterns. There is also a wave option on them also

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other big thing I recommend is having 3 heaters total and a controller. Put 2 heaters in the system on a controller with primary keeping tank between 77 and 78. Second heater set to 76 to 77. Third heater is used for heating your water for mixing and as a back up. I use eheim heaters and an inkbird controller.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To add to all the advice here, only expect about half the advertised flow from return pumps once the height and any other resistance is factored in. The lower end of 5-10x turn over is more than sufficient.

Start with one wave maker if you have to. You can always add more later.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add to all the advice here, only expect about half the advertised flow from return pumps once the height and any other resistance is factored in. The lower end of 5-10x turn over is more than sufficient.

Start with one wave maker if you have to. You can always add more later.
One will definitely do at the beginning. 2 will be best though. You don't want any no flow areas and don't want sand being kicked up either.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Sam! I kinda figured that based on what I have been seeing! Not planning on doing any specialty corals right now!
A.) This is my first tank
B.) I dont have the budget! The lighting option that I was able to afford is a Virpaspectra 150W... I know that this is the cheap option, but making $10/hour that is all I can afford at this time!

Is there such thing as too much flow? And is there a difference between a Koralia Evolution and a Koralia 3rd generation... One is more expensive, but is it really worth the money?
I understand what you are saying. yes there is such a thing as too much flow, sps love the flow where as LPS and softies require less. If in the future you decide to go for a mixed reef you will get to know where the high and low flow sections of your tank are.

I looked at the 2 pumps and if you are on a tight budget I would stick with the Koralia Evolution.

The best advice I can give you is run your tank with no light for 4-5 months. In this time only add fish. This will give your tank time to leach all phosphate and other algea causing things without causing loads of algea. This also means you do not need to rush out and waste money on a cheap light. I personally would save some money and put it towards a better light. The cheaper lights will grow softies and some LPS but you will find some of them have the perfect algea growth spectrum.

OP
OP
R

Ryan98720

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think right now I am planning on going with 2 Koralia evolution 550-600s on opposite sides of the tank! I think that I can eventually put them both on a wavemaker and that will help! As far as the sump pump I'm leaning towards the Jebao 3000. I will definitely keep the lighting in mind! That was kind of my first thought was to do fish only at first! When you said leach all the phosphate what do you mean by that? From my dry rock?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back