Flow suggestions

JJLigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 90 gallon that is drilled for a center overflow I am looking to run an about 35 gallon sump. I need to order a new overflow tower for the center and was wondering what GPH you would suggest running in this tank? They offer 700, 1200 or 1800 GPH weir teeth.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
700 gph would be enough turnover from the display to the sump, but there are other factors to consider.

I would want at least 2, or possibly 3, 1" drains. It depends on if you want to run a Bean or Herbie. Length of weir for surface skimming is also something to consider.

Hope that helps. Is there a specific brand or model here?

OP
OP
J

JJLigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is plumbed for the over flow and return to come out of the same spot so I only have one drain

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is plumbed for the over flow and return to come out of the same spot so I only have one drain
I took it as you were buying an overflow.

So your tank is drilled with 2 holes on the bottom, and you are replacing the in-the-tank box? In that case, I don't know without a little more info. Blindly, I would probably pick the middle option.

I would look into having both pipes as drains, as a Herbie drain system, and run a return or 2 over the back of the tank. I always recommend that over a single standpipe drain, for noise reasons.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it as you were buying an overflow.

So your tank is drilled with 2 holes on the bottom, and you are replacing the in-the-tank box? In that case, I don't know without a little more info. Blindly, I would probably pick the middle option.

I would look into having both pipes as drains, as a Herbie drain system, and run a return or 2 over the back of the tank. I always recommend that over a single standpipe drain, for noise reasons.
Highly agree, would help tremendously with noise.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh and in response to your post, 700GPH would be fine for 90

MCWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 1200 on my 90. You have t rember that unless you have a flow meter, you probability are flowing less than you think.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back