Flow vs Sand

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaching out to hear my fellow reefers experiences and recommendations on sand grain size versus flow. I would like to have 50x-100x turnover capability in my display. Is it a no brainer to go with crushed coral to prevent underwater sand dunes and bare spots?

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your turn over rates correct? I’m only moving 10x If they are I would definitely stay away from sand. After looking at what some others are saying about sand , my new tank will have crushed coral. Just my two cents. Good luck

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using Fiji pink sand on my nuvo 40 with Icecap 1K with 70% max random. I used my rock work to offset the sandstorms and only have a bare area in a corner.
@GThompson does the crush coral raise any parameters? Just curious.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your turn over rates correct? I’m only moving 10x If they are I would definitely stay away from sand. After looking at what some others are saying about sand , my new tank will have crushed coral. Just my two cents. Good luck

50x seems crazy high to me too! From what I've learned from this video by BRS, .... the 50x is "total capability" and not always on full blast. The reasoning and explanations behind such high flow make a lot of sense.

My situation may be a little different because my tank is more of a square than a long rectangle. Regardless, I will be aiming for higher flow rates and need a sand that's not going to blow around.

This is the first tank I've had since I've been with my now wife, and a bare bottom tank is out of the question.

Last edited:

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at Tropic Eden line of sand. I believe Premium Aquatics sells it. Comes in a few different grain sizes that might meet your needs. I'm considering their reef flakes grand select for the same reasons as you. Never used them but have used CaribSea special grade and that blew around as well. Worth a look.

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently using Fiji pink sand on my nuvo 40 with Icecap 1K with 70% max random. I used my rock work to offset the sandstorms and only have a bare area in a corner.
@GThompson does the crush coral raise any parameters? Just curious.
My ph and calcium seem to stay steady

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a square tank. 5x5x3 foot tall. I use a mix of Tropic Eden
Miniflakes - 2.0mm
Mesoflakes - 2.7mm
Reefflakes - 3.0mm
Reefflakes Grand Select - 4.5mm
The fine grade is for my wrasses who sleep in the sand
I do have a spot that gets a direct hit on the sand. Every 2 weeks I cover up that bald spot.
I do have dunes and a sand sifter so keeping a flat sand bed is imposssible .

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a square tank. 5x5x3 foot tall. I use a mix of Tropic Eden
Miniflakes - 2.0mm
Mesoflakes - 2.7mm
Reefflakes - 3.0mm
Reefflakes Grand Select - 4.5mm
The fine grade is for my wrasses who sleep in the sand
I do have a spot that gets a direct hit on the sand. Every 2 weeks I cover up that bald spot.
I do have dunes and a sand sifter so keeping a flat sand bed is imposssible .

I'd be interested to see your aquascape!

I don't know whether its fortunate or unfortunate that the list of fish my wife wants, and I approved, does not include a wrasse. I just hope my QT process prevents bristle worms from ever getting into my display!

I just want my sand to stay put, and don't mind regular maintenance to keep it clean.

Tyler Bullock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO go no sand if you are wanting this amount of turn over. That is what I did. I like how my black ABS board looks in the tank.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends a lot on the type of flow and disruptions to it. I have Carib sea special grade in a cubish tank and a Gyre 230 @ ~1200GPH was creating dunes but a Nero 5 at 2200 is fine. Thats 58x from just powerheads..

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO go no sand if you are wanting this amount of turn over. That is what I did. I like how my black ABS board looks in the tank.

This. I have probably 4" of very fine sand in my nano and it looks amazing. My other tank is being built with the goal of SPS heavy, and it is going to be bare bottom with black textured paneling on the bottom.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer 0.0mm sand that's invisibly bare bottom. Lol

ACTUALLY if you go BB and mount MIRRORS underneath the tank on the DRY side....your tank will light up like Christmas

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a not so fine grade of sand. As I increased flow, I found in certain spots, I had bare bottom. I just put a coarser grained sand there and it stayed put.

Reefs and Geeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cover the bottom with coral you can go bare bottom and nobody would know the difference! Courser sand will help increase flow without sandstorms. The exact amount of flow would vary alot based off of the flow patterns in the tank, rock placment, powerhead placment and angle...etc. 50X turnover is getting into the barebottom only level of flow IMO.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back